Did you know that if you refused to bear arms to protect the constitution you could not become a naturlized ..?

American citizen? IF YOU REFUSE TO BEAR ARMS TO PROTECT THE CONSTITUTION YOU CANNOT BE NATURALIZED INTO AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP...............

Bland v. United States, 42 F.2d 842 (2nd Cir. 06/30/1930)

Appellant, on February 2, 1906, filed a declaration of intention to become a citizen. May 21, 1929, appellant filed a petition for naturalization. After a hearing, on April 14, 1930, when the oath was being administered, in the customary phrase "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, and particularly to * * * of whom I have heretofore been a subject (or citizen); that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; So Help Me God. In acknowledgment whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature" appellant demurred to the form, saying religious convictions forbade appellant from personally bearing arms.

After extensive examinations as to appellants religious convictions, and full freedom of expression as to them, appellant refused to unqualifiedly swear to defend the Constitution. The District Judge denied appellant application upon the authority of United States v. Schwimmer, 279 U.S. 644, 49 S. Ct. 448, 73 L. Ed. 889.

marathon.

"...that I will support and DEFEND the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; So Help Me God. In acknowledgment whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature" appellant demurred to the form, saying religious convictions forbade appellant from personally bearing arms.

Evidently the person thought he might be required, if drafted into the military I suppose, to pick up a rifle and shoot the enemies of the United States. I deduce this bcs he specifically mentioned that his religious convictions forbade him from bearing arms.

To understand this matter more fully may I suggest you aquire the old movie "Sergeant York" available usually on ebay or Amazon and watch it. Based on a true story. It is a great patriotic movie and one you will enjoy if you love our country.

William O.

you are correct, A lot has changed. And it seems a lot more is changing now. If you like the changes I guess you can applaud. If you don't like the changes, may I suggest you join the patriotic resistance at grassfire.org

Greasy...

Yes sir. I have a lot more questions. stay tuned.

• L.T.M.
    Favorite Answer

"It is well settled that the high privilege of United States citizenship is conferred upon an alien not as an absolute right, but solely as a matter of legislative grace. Congress has manifested a clear intention in this enactment to grant citizenship only to those persons from foreign shores who have by their behaviour and conduct in some measure demonstrated their loyalty and good faith allegiance to our Constitution, and to those great principles of freedom and liberty from which our Republic found life."

(Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals 1950)

You are citing a case from 1930. A lot has changed since then. One of those things is that you do NOT have to bear arms if it is against your principles.

Oath of Allegiance

The oath of allegiance is:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

In some cases, USCIS allows the oath to be taken without the clauses:

". . .that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law. . ."

If USCIS finds that you are unable to swear the oath using the words “on oath,” you may replace these words with “and solemnly affirm.” If USCIS finds that you are unable to use the words “so help me God” because of your religious training or beliefs, you are not required to say these words.

I don't see anything about bearing arms in there - this is to renounce your ties to your home country - something invaders don't do anymore.

I only wish it would keep more from being naturalized.

I'm confused - where in the oath you listed does it say that he had to "bear arms" in order to support and defend the constitution?

Yes I knew that.

I knew that to! Do you have another question?

Or did you just think it was important to share?