Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why did Michael Steele apologize to Rush if he was misquoted by the liberal media?

I don't understand why Michael Steele apologized to Rush since he claims he never said anything wrong. The liberal media intentionally misquoted Steele and made up a bunch of dirty lies. So why would Steele apologize if he never did anything wrong in the first place? We need a GOP leader to stand up for what he believes, not cower to the liberal media elite.

Favorite Answer

First of all, the media did not misquote Steele, intentionally or otherwise. It could be that he was quoted out of context, but even Steele isn't claiming that he was misquoted.

Second of all, claiming to have been "quoted out of context" is the last refuge of someone who said something stupid. As far as I can tell, however, Steele isn't claiming that, so credit to him for that.

Third of all, the media elite is not liberal. It is owned by corporations and therefore has a conservative bias.

Fourth of all, what Steele "did wrong" is not what he said, but that he apologized for it, and to whom he apologized. He doesn't work for Rush Limbaugh. He does, in theory, work for the Republican Party, but as its leader: He should be leading it. Which leads to this point:

A nation needs a strong liberal party, to make sure that its government does what it must; but it also needs a strong conservative party to make sure that its government does not do too much. Right now, the nation's liberal party is stronger than it has been in over 40 years, while its conservative party is, arguably, weaker than it's been since the FDR years, reduced to nearly a regional party, with a Southern base and a few Midwestern and Western guys who are as nutty as the Southern evangelicals who've been running it.

What this means for Steele is this: If he truly wants to be the leader of the Republican Party, then he should lead it to believe as he does. Which would seem to back up your point, except... what he believes is that abortion should be left up to the people through their elected State representatives, not to a "human life amendment"; and that being gay is not a choice. This goes against 30 years of GOP orthodoxy.

So either Steele has got to stand up and say, "This is what I believe, and if you're not willing to agree with me on this, but you still agree with me on most other issues, then we're okay." (After all, Harry Reid disagrees with most Democrats on the issues of abortion and guns, but the Democratic Senators still elected him as their floor leader.)

But if the GOP rank-and-file are not willing to accept that Steele disagrees with them on those two "values issues," then he's got to either stand up and say, "Accept me as your chairman or fire me, but don't you dare ask me to apologize for what I believe" -- or he's got to deliver a principled resignation, for which I think most Americans would respect him. Right now, hardly anyone respects him. He has become a joke, and if he has any pride, he will "de-jokify" himself as soon as possible. Whether through standing up to his party or a principled resignation, I don't care. America needs two clear-thinking major parties. Right now, we have one, the Democrats, while the Republicans continue making damn fools of themselves.

Steele waffled after pointing out the obvious about Limbaugh. It was weak when he apologized for simply stating the truth.

• Bob

You could also say that his true belief is he's pro choice but then he has to cower to the GOP elite and follow party lines.

The Democrats attacking Rush is a huge mistake.

It makes them look like they are constantly playing politics, and trying to demonize someone. Even attacking entertainers with opposing points of view.

Could you imagine Bush attacking Mahr or Stewart, not very Presidential and not very becoming of a political party.

The Democrats are trying to distract America from Obamas missteps and Queen Pelosi's abuse of Power.

• xiphos

Distraction.

Thanks for 2.

Its sad really, I thought Steele was ready to move the GOP forward, instead he just bent over.

• joe d

Joan get a grip will ya. Michael has to stay on the conservative side because all liberal blacks do is throw oreo cookies at him when he appears in public. Pretty racist people aren't they ?

It's a malfunction in his programming.

More importantly why does anyone give two squirts of piss, he is an entertainer.

He's a coward!