Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 decade ago

Is tattoo ink vegan?

I'm a vegan who has been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while but the thought crossed my mind this morning that I really don't know whats in the ink that tattoo artists use. So does anyone know if tattoos are indeed vegan or does the ink have some kind of animal product in it? Thanks

Favorite Answer

This article might be useful for you:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/263163/ta...

The carrier generally includes glycerin of animal source, and the black is made from burnt animal bones

The aftercare oiltments contain beeswax or lanolin

Vegan alternatives are available but not generally used - you'd be looking for a specialist "vegan" tattoo artist

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is tattoo ink vegan?

Source(s): tattoo ink vegan: https://tr.im/fykTr
  • LOCO

You bring up something interesting.. Although I may not be answering your question directly my dear.My friend has a whole body full of tattoo's and he is vegan. I will have to check with him the next time I see him. He is usually on the ball with this stuff so In my opinion no. However; I would consult with the tattoo artist for the best answer. Remember though he is a salesmen like any other person running a business. So find out the name of the ink he uses and then research. In any case I hope you find a way to get a tattoo while being able to respect your belief system. Have a good one.

Source(s): Edit here is a link about tatoo ink. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/263163/ta... I just spoke with my friend and inks are indeed made from animal products. Plus your tattoo artist may no know since they mix their own inks.

It depends on the artist. Call and ask if their inks are plant based. I got my tattoo from a lady who only used plant based inks since they are of higher quality than other inks. She wasn't vegan.

• YSIC

By and large, tat ink is NOT vegan. They often contain animal derivatives.

From what I understand, not many artists like using vegan ink (it IS out there - you have to ask around) b/c it fades faster than non-veg ink.

I knew an artist that was vegan or vegetarian (don't remember which) and I believe he used "organic" inks. Whether or not it had animal products in it I have no idea. But I would assume not.

Ask the artist you are considering going to, all artists use different inks.

Some inks are vegan and some aren't, so you need to ask the artist.

• Bella

They probably have squid ink in them.

• KayKay

yes they are made from Animal proteins...no tat for u!

Really?