What does a computer scientist actually do and how much money do they make?

just a little consideration for a degree after i finish studying computer systems technology.

Best Answer

Don't confuse a computer scientist with a computer programmer. Sadly too many people these days (including recruiters) don't know the difference. A computer programmer writes programs, most often for the web. A computer scientist is an expert in formal languages, the mathematical foundation of computability, formal logic, systemic complexity, and a smattering of engineering. He knows what makes good computer programs better than poor ones. So most often he directs programmers and performs high-level program design. Salaries for well-qualified computer scientists can exceed $100K.

Got my CS degree in 2000, and I'm now primarily in embedded systems. I wouldn't call myself a computer scientist though - in my view that is an academic or pure research (e.g. Bell Labs) job. Most CS students go on to be programmers, network engineers, consultants etc. Not "computer scientists".

Salaries vary enormously depending on the exact field. The average for a coder is probably £30-35,000 here in the UK, less for VB, perl, or other high level coders, more for systems programmers.

I find it interesting that a future IT graduate is unable to categorise his question properly.

RE:

Source(s): computer scientist money make: https://trimurl.im/a88/what-does-a-computer-scient...

Sit on their *** all day eating sesame snaps whilst spinning in chairs occasionally fixing computers

despite this, on average £30,000

Source(s): the computer science dude >.>

i'm aspiring to study computer science...what am i signing up for? is it as big as people,e say it is,or is it another hopeless course cz i need valid answers urgently

I'm a web dev person. I code all day and update websites. I don't have a degree in this and I make $50k a year.

not sure on how much they make but they mostly script and right programs update them and fix bugs in them

Source(s): knowledge