What does a computer scientist actually do and how much money do they make?

just a little consideration for a degree after i finish studying computer systems technology.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Don't confuse a computer scientist with a computer programmer. Sadly too many people these days (including recruiters) don't know the difference. A computer programmer writes programs, most often for the web. A computer scientist is an expert in formal languages, the mathematical foundation of computability, formal logic, systemic complexity, and a smattering of engineering. He knows what makes good computer programs better than poor ones. So most often he directs programmers and performs high-level program design. Salaries for well-qualified computer scientists can exceed $100K.

• 1 decade ago

Got my CS degree in 2000, and I'm now primarily in embedded systems. I wouldn't call myself a computer scientist though - in my view that is an academic or pure research (e.g. Bell Labs) job. Most CS students go on to be programmers, network engineers, consultants etc. Not "computer scientists".

Salaries vary enormously depending on the exact field. The average for a coder is probably £30-35,000 here in the UK, less for VB, perl, or other high level coders, more for systems programmers.

I find it interesting that a future IT graduate is unable to categorise his question properly.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

RE:

What does a computer scientist actually do and how much money do they make?

just a little consideration for a degree after i finish studying computer systems technology.

Source(s): computer scientist money make: https://trimurl.im/a88/what-does-a-computer-scient...
  • 1 decade ago

Sit on their *** all day eating sesame snaps whilst spinning in chairs occasionally fixing computers

despite this, on average £30,000

Source(s): the computer science dude >.>
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

i'm aspiring to study computer science...what am i signing up for? is it as big as people,e say it is,or is it another hopeless course cz i need valid answers urgently

• 1 decade ago

I'm a web dev person. I code all day and update websites. I don't have a degree in this and I make $50k a year.

• 1 decade ago

not sure on how much they make but they mostly script and right programs update them and fix bugs in them

Source(s): knowledge
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.