Need help on buying camera! Nikon D80 or Canon Rebel xti ?

Ok so i want to begin to dive into photography. Im a newbie with no training or understanding of all i will need to know.. I want to take professional quaity photos! I plan to really become serious in this hobbie. I like the nikon d80 and the canon rebel xti.. i know there differences and the whole preference thing im seeing on here.. Is there another camera i should be looking into, with same quaility? I personally am leaning on the nikon side right now.. I know that i will need to purchase alot of lens, can you suggest which to get to please? I want to take pics of my daughter in cemetarys, fields, inside with tutus on (think amanda keeys) ect... I also want to do funky stuff like all black and white but draw out one color and bring blues greens out of water ect... please help im clueless.. i also really cant afford to go crazy with money.. i have found a nikon for 300.00 online but then i need lens right??

Thanks for answers, please be as detailed as you can.. i have alot to soak in; im feeling..

Favorite Answer

I actually had the nikon d80 which I only had for about 4 months before I decided to sell it, personally it is a nice camera but not what I was looking for. the picture quality is good but was not thoroughly impressed.

Only reason why I had it was because it was a christmas gift.

I am a loyal to Canon.

I have the canon rebel g (film)

canon rebel xt350

canon rebel xti400

canon EOS 30D

the best thing about canons are the lenses. I was able to use almost all of the lenses I have for the film camera with the digital. The only problem I ran across was some of my lenses would not take to the digital but the problem was quickly resolved, all i had to do was send it into canon and they chipped it to work with my digital, all done for free, just had to pay for shipping.

I like the xti alot but if your an amateur there really isnt much of a difference between the 350 & 400. there is a price difference between the two and if your just starting out and looking to save a little money you can always start with the 350 and as your skills progress eventually upgrade to a newer model with more options.

For a lense, i love the sigmas.

start out with a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 macro or the 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 macro

and a 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 USM

all you really need before you add more to your lens collection.

The lenses make photography very expensive but well worth it.

Ive always been real iffy on buying lenses from ebay just because its fragile stuff and you dont know what you are getting and in what condition it is in. If you prefer ebay, check to see if you have a seller in the area so you can pick it up.

I recommend your local craigslist. that way you can check out whether or not the lens is scratched, hazy, dust or has fungus.

and google abandoned but not forgotten. I love this website!!! it has tons of abandoned places you can go for nice pictures.

good luck and have fun! Im going out this weekend with my canon family, ive been looking forward to it for wks now. :o)

• Zeta1

the D80 is an outstanding SLR camera but you have to read the user's manual or a book ( there are books on the d80 ).

The price looks fishy 300 (US?) the real price is 700+ at least.

PS I have not work with a XTI.

Prathed S... You plagerized a whole article, how does that help? shes asking for personal experience.

I would go with Tip Ws recommendation, obvious she owns a camera. or 4. I had the older Nikon... I hated it, I own an olympus now... Hate it.

Nikon D80 is better way to get.

11-area AF system

Excellent color reproduction in all three color modes, saturation and hue is very good.

Sharpness and contrast

Lightning fast: powers up in an instant with very quick shutter response

Matrix metering system very good

1/4000 of a second to 30 seconds is a modest gift

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&loc...

I've considered other, higher priced digital SLRs, such as the Nikon D80 and Canon 30D. However, I decided that I probably won't be using some of the more advanced features offered by those cameras, and would rather spend the money saved on a better lens. In terms of picture quality, all these SLRs are capable of equivalent quality.

With emphasis on portability, Canon's Digital Rebel XTi is designed for first-time DSLR photographers and travel enthusiasts. Measuring 5.0" by 3.7" by 2.6" and weighing 1.1 lbs., it is about as large as the largest point & shoot cameras and one of the smallest DSLR camera bodies on the market. Its size is the source of both popularity and criticisms. If you have large hands or a heavier lens, it may feel too small. An optional battery grip can help, but some will want something more substantial. Visit a store nearby to find out for yourself.

The package includes camera body with a lens cap, battery, charger, manual, catalogs, neck strap, USB and composite video cables, and CD-ROMs. You will need a lens and CompactFlash memory card. There may be some static energy in the packaging, so remove the lens cap in a dust-free environment such as the bathroom to prevent dust entering the sensor. Much promoted sensor cleaning system helps, but it's best not to get any in the first place.

Canon sells 4 versions of XTi: black or silver finish and with or without EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Black or silver is largely a personal preference, but most lenses, most accessories, and all but low-end DSLR camera bodies are black. As for the kit lens, it can be an affordable introduction to DSLR and capable if used exclusively at f/8 or f/11 apertures (soft at other apertures). In other words, the lens is not ideal for shooting under low light. If you don't have to get a zoom lens now, start with Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It is famous for top-notch performance at very low price. Due to XTi's APS-C image sensor (compositions are multiplied by 1.6x), this lens becomes 35mm-equivalent of 80mm.

If you have the budget for a good zoom lens, at over 100 lenses, Canon has you covered. Some of Canon's popular zoom lenses include EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. If these are too pricey, third party vendors such as Sigma and Tamron make Canon-compatible lenses for less. Their focus is not as nice as Canon's USM but they generally outperform Canon's lower-end lenses.Tamron's SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) and Sigma's 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro are popular among budget-minded photographers.

With 10.1 megapixels image sensor, the XTi can benefit from sharper lenses. Although increasing the resolution over same image sensor area can increase noise, Canon has improved the sensor technology to maintain low noise floor and high dynamic range. Performance wise, there's very little to criticize. Great example of Canon's trademark smooth, high contrast, saturated, and low noise. Noise remains low even at ISO 800. It is said that shooting RAW is equivalent to getting an extra exposure (1.0 EV) and it can help you maintain usable details with acceptable noise at ISO 1600. Low noise gives XTi a bit of an excuse for missing in-body image stabilizer. According to Canon, lens is more effective location for image stabilizer, especially telephoto. That's true but I think the feature would've been nice to have. As a consolation, the XTi has mirror lockup that reduces vibration caused by the mirror movement. My sole performance criticism is the metering mode. It includes only partial and not spot metering mode (very useful when shooting high contrast scenes such as candlelit birthday cake). Perhaps more problematic is the evaluative metering mode, which occasionally underexposes images by 2/3 EV or so.

Some have criticized XTi for "plasticky" build. Except for the metal lens mount, the exterior is largely made of high quality engineering plastic with rubbery paint. If you drop it, it will probably crack or break, but it's sturdy and well made. Flipping on the power lever, it starts up almost immediately ready for use. Much promoted auto sensor cleaning kicks in when powering up and down. As with most DSLRs, there's virtually no shutter lag and it focuses in a split second (especially when using a USM lens). In continuous shooting mode with a fast memory card, it can take 10 RAWs or 27 JPEGs at 3 frames per second. RAW images are 10 MB each, so get a speed 2 GB or larger memory card, such as SanDisk's Ultra II series.

Replacing both 1.8" LCD and info display is 2.5" high resolution LCD with LED backlighting. It displays current camera settings, photos in memory, and menu. Thanks to greater real estate and more refined user interface, XTi is very intuitive and pleasure to use. The minus is 10% lower battery life, which was merely adequate to begin with. XTi has 95% crop 0.8x optical viewfinder tha