Why does my little girl keep getting bladder infections?

She has already been to the doctor for this and is on antibiotics now. But this has happened before and will probably happen again. The doctor thinks that the bladder infection is why she can't get rid of a yeast infection (we've been giving her medicine for that as well). I'm so frustrated. She doesn't drink soda, and only a little juice in the morning. She eats animal crackers sometimes, but not alot of other junk. I know she doesn't drink enough water, but she drinks more water now than she ever has. So what gives?

Favorite Answer

My cousin had that. She is ten years old.She started wetting the bed and pieing on her self last year. But they did not know what was wrong. Her mom thought she was lazy. So her grandma said take her to the Doctor. So they did. They ask if she ever got touched? she did. The doctor said that may be it. So they X-Rayed her. Something was wrong with her bladder. The doctor said it was both , ( Raped , bad bladder ). So the doctor started doing something to her. Well now this year their X-Raying it.

how old is your little girl? is she school age? or pre-school age? sometimes kids start school and are afraid to go to the bathroom while they're there, or afraid to tell the teacher/daycare worker that they have to go. and since they're potty trained, they know not to just wet themselves, so holding it can cause infections. just a thought.

if she's not in school/daycare, and not potty trained, not drinking enough water can play a part in it. but maybe ask your doctor about which antibiotics she's on, or the dosage. in children (as with adults) antibiotics can upset the natural balance of necessary bacteria in the body and can actually be the cause of a yeast infection. maybe you and your doctor might try lowering the dosage of the antibiotic and just using it for a longer time period; or maybe try a different antibiotic altogether.

in the meantime, try only soaps that are free of dyes and fragrance in the bath. too much bubbles or fragrant soaps can cause urethral irritation which can lead to urinary tract or bladder infections.

good luck to both of you! hope this was helpful!

Source(s): 10+ years nanny/childcare experience.

Is she going to the potty often enough? If she's holding it in, that can lead to bladder infections. Give her cranberry juice, maybe watered down half with water. And watch how she is wiping

Avoid sugars and artificial sweetners. Bacteria in the bladder thrives on sugar!

ScienceDaily (Mar. 12, 2009) — Chemicals present in cranberries—and not the acidity of cranberry juice, as previously thought—prevent infection-causing bacteria from attaching to the cells that line the urinary tract, as documented in a report published in Journal of Medicinal Food.

Hydration.

My neice gets these all the time. She is only two! She just won`t drink. A whole day she may go through one sippy cup and that`s it. Unless you fill it with pop. Which just dehydrates you more.

Also, bubble bath can do the same damage. Does she get bubbles in her bath? Try nixing that for awhile. Just distract her with a new princess wand or something special so she doesn`t miss the bubbles.

i have been to numerous classes on how to detect sexual abuse(preschool teacher)......thats a sign...i am sorry to say but bed wetting out of the ordinary(child never peed the bed and all of a sudden starts) and recurrent yeast infections and bladder infections that have no medical back up (like kidney or bladder irregularities)are big RED ALERT that something else is going on. you need to talk to your daughter....do not lead her into anything. start by saying something about her private areas and how no one can touch them but her. then ask has anyone ever touched her...if she says no then leave it at that and talk to her DR about it. If she says yes then ask if she can tell you who....it is important not to freak out, show your mad or sad or anything. that may push her into regression just say you should tell me who. if she doesn't cooperate, dont push just wait till another time. and talk to her dr about it.

Source(s): my cousin and little sister were "touched" and numerous classes on all kinds of abuse and the signs and symptoms of them in young children

she has to start drinking PLENTY of water and maybe some cranberry juice every morning with her breakfast.. how old is she anyway?.. i use to get bladder infections ALLLLL the time and it was a real issue, they got so bad they would put me in hospital on the drip. myself being a female my doctor finally worked out why i kept getting them and it was how i wiped myself when i went to the toilet.. you should always ""wipe front to back and not back to front"" the amount of germs on your bottom from your bowl after going to the toilet is huge so this is always a good tip to remember!

1

Bubble baths? They can cause them.

Supposedly artificial sweeteners can contribute to them as well.