Jay Leno said he was liberal on social issues but conservative on fiscal issues?

He gave an example of fiscal issues as the bank bailouts and how he dissaproves of them. He also gave an example of social issues such as he voted for same sex marriage. What about social programs? Do those count as fiscal issues and would he want to cut back on those?

I'm just curious on what makes him different from liberals and conservatives. I know that there are a lot of people who, on certain issues, don't always agree with their poltical party.

Favorite Answer

This is actually a common view here in California, one shared by our governor Arnold. The specifics of fiscal conservative/ social liberal vary from person to person, so it is hard to say what Jay Leno specifically thinks about, say, welfare.

The typical California fiscal conservative/ social liberal thinks that the government should lower taxes and reign in spending in general. At the same time, as social liberals or at least social moderates, they are generally pro-choice, pro-access to contraception, pro-gay rights, and against Christianization of the government, so this puts them at odds with the Republican party core.

i might evaluate that closer to a real American than the two the persons who call themselves Conservatives or people who call themselves Liberals. a real American believes social matters are none of government's corporation, and likewise believes that the federal government would desire to be particularly limited (as in line with the form on the two debts.) So using on the instant's at a loss for words words, the only genuine individuals available, who care approximately Constitutional principals, are economic Conservatives/Social Liberals.

Sounds a bit like me. He would appear liberal when looked at from certain angles (for example, I am pro-choice and pro-gay) but conservative from other angles (hated the bailouts, hates welfare, etc.)

Of course we don't always agree with a political party, so we find the one that fits the best (most people however go mainstream with whatever is most important to them, but some find that a third party suits them best)

I imagine on social programs he would be a moderate as the two sides battle in his mind. I am the same way, I think that many social programs are valid but that they need to be handled better then they are and cut out wasteful spending.

• SA

Most people that are conservative on fiscal issues mean they believe in lower taxes and a smaller government. When Leno says he is liberal on social issues, he means he is probably pro-choice and for gay rights...etc.

If you're fiscally conservative, you probably are for cutting back on social programs as well... yeah as the above guy stated, Libertarians are socially liberal and fiscally conservative, just don't want the government doing much.

I think people vote on the one issue that they are most passionate about even though they may disagree with the party they voted for on many other issues. Social programs may be your pet peeve so reflect that issue in your vote.

Social programs involve both fiscal and social ideas, so that may need more consideration. We wouldn't know if hed want to cut back on those, it's entirely up to him and his views of certain programs.

He definitely sounds like a libertarian.

Jay is one of the many centrists, and he described a centrist to a tee. MOst are generally liberal on social issues and generally conservative fiscally.

I'm one too, for the most part.

• Bub

Jay Leno is a comedian. He can say whatever he wants and it really doesn't need to be true or matter much.