home schoolin in ohio.?

is home schooling in ohio really geting shut down.???

answer me asap

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The laws about homeschooling in Ohio won't be changing. What will change if Gov. Strickland's budget cuts hold is that virtual schooling will adjust/change/decrease.

Strickland plan would slash online-school funding

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local...

==============================================

Under the governor's two-year budget proposal, the state would provide about $1,500 in per-pupil aid to online charter schools, down from the roughly $5,700 they now receive, according to charter-school supporters.

==============================================

Since the law governing homeschooling (not just unschooling) isn't in question, the budget cut has nothing to do with homeschooling.

Also, concerning "school choice" (how kids are educated), the NCLB emphasis on "school choice" is probably the culprit in making people think that any kind of schooling ought to be paid for by taxpayers, although that doesn't seem to be the intent.

U.S. Department of Education

School Choices for Parents

http://www.ed.gov/parents/schools/choice/definitio...

============================================

If a child attends a Title I school that has been identified by the state for school improvement, corrective action, or restructuring, parents can choose to send the child to another public school that is not so identified.

============================================

From this reading, NCLB school-choice is choosing from among public schools, not to provide every child with a smorgasbord of 'menu items' to choose from.

Ymmv.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's up in the air right now, however, it does look grim.

I have attended several budget sub committees to let my voice be heard. Governor Strickland is wanting to cut funding by 74%! Although I do believe that charter/virtual schools don't need the same amount of funding as a brick and mortar school, however, it is still going to be tight.

If it does fall through it could mean that charter and virtual schools could collapse in which the only two options would be to do the unschooling method or send the kids back to public school. Ugh.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm really not sure. Check out for news articles related to it.

That sucks bad, who gives them the right to decide how kids are educated. That better not happen in my state, or I'll raise hell.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, not at all. Homeschooling is alive and well in Ohio :D

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.