I used bullet points in an exam and got a bad grade...?

Most questions requiring 8 marks or so I made 8 solid points for each exam. The exam was business studies b ocr specification. (worth 25% it was called business organisation) I did this for many of the longer questions and for all of the short questions.

I ended up with a C although my target grade is an A* and am really unhappy. What did I do wrong?

Favorite Answer

Maybe you needed to expand on your bullet points, if it's for 8 marks, they expect you to explain the points in depth, look at the mark scheme which is probably on the webiste to see where you went wrong. I'm also predicted an A* but I find the subject so boring and sometimes, quite hard (the financial bit). All the best!

answer in full paragraphs there looking for you to link things together, you cant really do that in bullet points. Bullet points also probably mean that you didnt explain things as best as you could. They also mark you on your english and quality of writing, these arent alot of marks but they could make the difference between one grade and another, writing in bullet points doesnt really show your writing ability. Dont worry about it, talk to your teacher and ask them how you can get an A*. Then you can retake the exam and be much more confident next time. good luck :) x

You really didn't put enough information in your question.

But, I am *assuming* what the professor wanted was your response in COMPLETE sentences, and perhaps a paragraph. Bullet points are good for presentations and such where you get to explain your points. However, it is not a complete answer by itself.

If the question specifically said, write a paragraph or anything similar, you simply didn't follow the instructions. In these cases. the fact your answers may have been right have no meaning. You simply didn't answer in the form requested.

My friend got her business grade today too. She got a B. Maybe you should have answered in a paragraph for the questions with more marks. I think bullet points are alot like notes. I think they might have been looking for proper answers.

or maybe it was just the content that was a bit off? But that wouldnt really make sense if your target was A*.

Source(s): I've been doing exams too ;)

It sounds to me as if you may have been marked wrongly. This does happen. You should discuss it first with your tutor.

The use of bullet points wouldn't mark you down from an A* to a C.

You need to write in standard English in exams not bullet points.

Are you sure the points you made were the right ones? Did you explain them properly?

Aww I don't really know how to answer this question, other than I wish you the best of good luck. If it is really getting to you, maybe the best thing would be to tell the principle about your action. Say it exactly like how you said it here- it *wasn't* intentional, you DON'T do it, basically, you panicked.

• DrIG

It very well may not be the format of your answers but the content of your answers that were found to be lacking./

The best way is to ask your teacher.