Is it cheaper to buy a heating element for a dryer, or just buy a new dryer?

• Sandy
    Favorite Answer

buy the heating element, but make sure its not the t-stat's first, and also check to make sure that the vent to the outside is clear.

Source(s): office manager/parts manager appliance/plumbing repair service 10 years

When heating elements fail, they will usually have a crack in one of the coils. If your Dryer heats at all, the element is still functioning properly. Thermostats can also fail and need to be checked when replacing the heating element.

If its an old dryer its best to get a new one or buy a used one than to repair. Heating elements can range from $30 to over $150

hope this helps need more i will be glad to help

If it is getting warm at all, your heating element is not bad, It's either good or bad, no in between. If it is taking longer to dry clothes try clearing the exhast hose of lint,(i'm sure you check the lint screen) at the back of the dryer and also on the outside to make sure a good flow of air is being exhausted.. Check this first before changing the element. If you have an ohm meter and you just have to check the element, first disconnect the dryer from its power source then disconnect one of the elements wires. set your meter to ohms and touch each lead to each end of the element. You should get a reading (resistance) or hear a tone if your meter is programed so. if this happens the element os good if not the element is bad and needs replacing. Now you are probably thinking ,ALL THAT? I would rather just buy a new dryer.

• karena

Buy New Dryer

Replace the element. Take the old one with you to the parts store and they can test the old one and make sure it's no good.

http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYreplacingWPL...

http://www.partselect.com/repair.aspx?appliance=dr...

http://www.applianceaid.com/wp_element.html

Source(s): I replaced the element in my dryer and it was alot cheaper than buying a new dryer. It was still working when I gave it away 20 years later. The washer on the other hand needed a new motor so I just bought a new stackable unit.

i think you should buy a heating element .bcoz it is much cheaper than a new dryer.

Source(s): my exeprience

If you are sure it is the element then of course it it would be better to buy the element.But, if the unit is say ten years old you may want to replace it.Your choice.

Dryers are cheap enough. My dad is always trying to fix the laundry in his apts and they end up breaking again. You will pay $150 for a service call if you can't do it yourself.

it is a lot cheaper to buy the element as long as you can fit it.

your better off with a whole new dryer/.