Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Gary asked in 科學及數學其他 - 科學 · 1 decade ago

Physics about heat

I need to make an insulated box that can reduce heat loss.Please suggest what materials can be used and briefly explain the design also if possible.

Thx a lot!^-^

1 Answer

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

there are three ways to reduce heat loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Reduce heat loss by convection. I suggest that the box should be fully closed,if possible. As the heat loss to the surrounding air can be trapped inside the box. Heat loss less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2)Reduce heat loss by conduction. As the heat transfer in a material is determined by it's heat conductivity, the better the heat conductivity

the faster the heat loss to surrounding. So the box should be made of some insulated materials such as wood, plastic , or doubled glasses(air inside is a perfect insulator). It is unwise to use metals.

(3)Reduce heat loss by radiation. As hot objects (above 0K) will always emits high-energitic radiation outside, so we have to use some poorradiation emmiter to make the inner layer. therfore the radiation emitted from objects inside will be reflected back to the box and trapped in the box. I suggest the inner wall be covered by aluminium foil(cheap and efficient)

Moreover for the outer case, it is better for you to use dark color if the box is put under direct sunlight. As it is able to absorb heat from the sun.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.