Security device from another store setting off store alarm. Was I too rude or too tolerant?

We went to a birthday party at a friend's house, so I put a new sd camera card that I had bought but not opened in my coat pocket.

The next day we went in the farm store, which does not sell electronics or anything for cameras or computers. I set off the alarm. After the clerk took the bags back to desensitize them (mouse traps do not have sensor tags anyway) it was evident that it was my coat that was setting off the alarm. I explained it was either my photo chip or my insulin needles and I allowed the clerks (two of them by this time) to run my sd card near the scanner. It set off the alarm.

Clearly there was another store tag on the item. My husband still has the receipt somewhere probably at home.

One of the clerks said she would have to call the manager.

I have shopped at the farm store one or more times per week since it opened in 1977.

I told the clerk that she did not have to call the manager because the product was not from their store and so it did not concern him. I had a meeting that I had to be at shortly and would not be late because of this. And I left, got in the vehicle and left the store lot. My husband was with me.

My husband and daughters thought I was too nice, I thought the clerk pushed me into being really rude to her, I felt while justifiably perhaps, I was extremely rude.

What do you think?

Thanks everyone! I learned a lot from all of you!

Favorite Answer

I think you were just fine. Any clerk with a functioning mind would have simply scanned the merchandise and clearly seen that it was not from their store. Most store clerks these days are morons.

Source(s): Over fifty years of watching the successful dumbing down of the working class of our society.

Some books have those things in there. Cellphones can't really set it off. I know clothes from the Gap and Banana Republic have security tags actually sewn into the clothes and they set off the alarms at some stores. Similarly, I once had a wallet with a security tag sewn into it that always set off the alarms. Finally I figured out why.

I have purchased many products from various stores that set alarms off at other retailers. Primarily, Gap jeans have a tag in them that you are supposed to cut out before wearing, I always forget to cut it out and end up setting off alarms all through out the mall.

The fact of the matter is that the product causing concern was not sold at their store, therefor it had nothing to do with them. What on Earth could they call the police for? You didn't steal anything. And the fact that they harassed you after 30+ years of patronage is unacceptable. I am assuming that you know the proprietors of this 'farm store', I would take note to mention the harassment the next time I ran into the manager.

• June B

The store's managers did not train the employees correctly. Once your purchase had been inspected and cleared, then they should have let you get going. That you took the time to figure out what was setting off the alarm and that it was not something that they sold at that store, they should have let you go with apologies. To find out that it was an electronic item, not sold in their store and to say they had to call a manager is unforgivable. Please take the time to speak with a manager so that the employees can be educated.

It sounds to me that you were not rude, simply firm.

I think they're lucky you didn't call the police. I will give them the benefit of the doubt as to checking your bags, but they should have let it go once they found out what the item was.

Where I work, if we didn't see you take the item off the shelf and carry it past the point of sale, without losing visual contact, there's really not much we can do. Of course, we try to stay away from law suits....not like Wal-Mart.

In my opinion You were right to hold your own in this situation & you were definitely not being rude if anything you had patience if this were me I would speak to the Manager & explain what happened on this day & suggest his clerks are properly trained in procedures

I agree with the first answer- you got lucky they didn't call the police. Believe me though, I know how you feel, but unfortunately, you have to cooperate with them. I had a similar thing happen to me before, and the police were called.

I would let it go.

I think you're lucky they didn't call the police.

Source(s): Walmartian