Are Vandoren V-12 or Mitchell Lurie Reeds better?

I was playing on Vandoren V-12 4s and they are sooo are to break into so then I just got Mitchell Lurie reeds to play. The Mitchell Lurie 4 reeds are really easy to play and have a great tone, but are they the same thickness as Vandoren 4s? How am I suppose to break into my Vandoren V-12 reeds I have left over? They are so hard to break in to and some of them seem like they are dead, thats why I decided to try playing Mitchell Lurie. I also ordered a pack of Gonzalez clarinet reeds to see if they work better then the Vandoren. Do Gonzalez reeds work well?? I was also wonder if it is better to like rotate throough like different reeds or just stick with one??

Thank you :)

Favorite Answer

The Mitchell Lurie reeds are very consistent and produce a nice tone. If you like them better than the V-12’s then it doesn’t matter if they are the same thickness. As for your left over Vandorens, soak them in water for about a minute before playing on them. You can try to make them lighter by lightly rubbing the flat side of the reed on some very fine grade sandpaper. Don’t rub very hard -- just a few strokes of the sandpaper can change the way the reed plays. When you do this, make sure that the sandpaper is lying on a perfectly flat surface.

The Gonzalez reeds are excellent and in my experience, more consistent than the V-12’s. You will have to try them out to see how well they work on your mouthpiece. Ultimately, with all of these reeds, you have to go with what works best for you and your setup. Not all mouthpieces work well with the same reeds, so trying each brand will help you decide.

Definitely rotate your reeds. Typically, it’s a good idea to rotate four or more reeds. There are several reasons for this. Cane reeds change with the weather. Changes in humidity and temperature can make a reed play very differently from one day to the next. Having four reeds at your disposal will help. One reed might play well for a few days, but that could change drastically if the weather goes from warm and sunny to cold and rainy. If you have a performance and that reed suddenly goes bad, you are stuck. Or, if by some chance that reed gets chipped, you will be forced to go through all of your new reeds to find a good one, and in that case there is no time to break in the reed to see how well it will play.

One last idea here, since you are on the reed hunt. Give the Legere synthetic reeds a try. Ignore those who blatantly disregard the Legeres because they are synthetic. Some of the best players in the world are using the Legeres and sound incredibly good on them -- players like Larry Combs, Steven Cohen, and Richard Hawkins, to name a few.

Source(s): Professional clarinetist and teacher for over 20 years.
  • du

Mitchell Lurie Reeds

My band director uses Mitchell Lurie, I play with them on my own clarinet at home and they are great for the beginners I intern for at the elementary and early middle school level. Then they are also great for the more advanced player 7-8th grade, high school +. He tries to keep them at 3 1/2 because any softer than that they are going to break, but 4 is almost to hard for some people to play. Also aren't Vandoren reeds quite expensive, I don't think reeds should be extremely expensive unless you are a professional and doing it for a living. So once again stick with Mitchell. I have never really heard of Gonzalez, but honestly reeds are reeds and they all have the same function it just depends on the person who is using it.

Stick with one reed at a time. Before you play and after you play, swipe off the spit and the extra moisture to keep them going longer.