Railroad crossing safety question?

Suppose you're in a rural area where there are no gates, flashing lights, etc. at a railroad crossing. If you're in your car and you're approaching the crossing, what should you do?
Update: I'd like to thank everyone who answered my question. I see that many fail to take even a small amount of time to ensure their safety and the safety of anyone else that may be in the vehicle. Some of them lose their lives, their friend's lives, and/or their family's lives because of the failure to stop,... show more I'd like to thank everyone who answered my question. I see that many fail to take even a small amount of time to ensure their safety and the safety of anyone else that may be in the vehicle. Some of them lose their lives, their friend's lives, and/or their family's lives because of the failure to stop, look, and listen. It all depends on who was in the vehicle.

Since there were a few fantastic answers, I am going to put this question to a vote.

Once again, thank you for your answers!