How do I tell employees they can't claim "exempt" on their w-4 for one pay period.?

We are getting paid a bonus & many employees want to claim "exempt". I don't want our employees or the company to get into trouble for them claiming exempt when they do not meet the criteria. I am trying to find some IRS publication that outlines how they can get in trouble, and why I won't let... show more We are getting paid a bonus & many employees want to claim "exempt". I don't want our employees or the company to get into trouble for them claiming exempt when they do not meet the criteria. I am trying to find some IRS publication that outlines how they can get in trouble, and why I won't let them claim exempt. Can anyone help out. The arguement I am getting is that I have no way of knowing if they meet the criteria for exempt, so they should be able to claim it & I should honor it.
Update: I have looked at IRS pub 15 & 17, and bulletin 919 (I think that was the number, but I have looked at so many different things). I am not trying to have others "do" my work, but I am on a tight timeline to get this done & am asking for help.