Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 decade ago

Help On buying a home that we are so close, but yet so far from getting. Below (Requires Patience, & Time.)?

Ok. This is a very long Question, so anybody that takes time to read it, and answer it to the best of their knowledge, i just want to show my gratitude up front. I greatly appreciated it. & I want to also ask that i keep this question intended for the more experienced, Best answer people, Bankers, Realtors, Loan People, Finance Advisers, & People with similar situations, or know people with similar situations. Etc....Thank you!

Okay here we go...

My Fiancé and I and one of her friends want to by a house, In Virginia. No first off, im kinda out the picture here. I have a couple of small collections to my name, as well as not enough credit. So this is all about my Fiancé, and here friend. My fiancé is 23, and her friend is about 52. They have become very close friends, both need places to stay here soon, and want to buy a house. Now They are working with a current realtor in there area, and he has ran both of their credits. First off the loan that they are applying for was called a FHA & USDA Loan which is from my understanding a loan that they dont have to pay back. A government loan. & They got approved! Now my fiancé, and ill go ahead and say her name...Meghan could get approved for 75,000 herself. Now of course we want a little bit better of a house. With Her friend Karla (the 52 year old lady which is like a mother to us) With her and Meghan together, They said that they can get approved for 128,000 max. Meghan’s credit stands at about a 665 right now, and im not sure about Karla’s. Its in the 500's. Meghan makes about 1,400 a month, and Karla makes about 900 a month. We have roomies that we trust that are going to rent the rooms out, so payments shouldn’t be a problem. Now heres where it gets tricky. Meghan has about 6,000 dollars in credit card debt. Karla....im not too sure. What the realtor said was that Karla needs to get her credit up a few notches to get them both qualified to get the $128,000. He said try going to a Bank of America and getting a $300 credit card and just use it, and make the payments, and it would hopefully be enough to boost her credit up enough. (That’s how close it is). But she didn’t get approved. Both stay in an apartment. Another one was that if she could get her son (which she co-signed for on a car a while back) to refinance, and get her name taken off, then, it would probably also be enough. But he son sadly disowns her now....Garbage!! But anyways...so they are kinda in a situation where they are so close, but yet so far away from getting one. & In the area that they are in, 128,000's pushing it enough as it is, for a suitable home (set to be in for long term.) Now Meghan on the other hand...oh yeah now the other option was, that they could get it in the FHA loan which i believe requires a 3% down payment. Which unfortunely we do not have at this time. So The USDA is what we are shooting for...Now Meghan is Maxed out on Getting anymore loans, although she always has had good history of paying her monthly credit card bills, or debt...however you want to call it. I’m not sure about Karla. Now with that being said Meghan if all possible wants to try to go for the house herself.. she is a First time home Buyer might i add, and we have been hearing something about an $8,000 Credit that The President has in a package or something like that. We are trying to figure out how all this works, and if there are any alternatives that we have, or that we can do. We would like and need to be in a home within 2-3 Months.. Is there anything else that we can do to bump up Karla’s Credit in time enough to get the home, or if not please state a time frame if something would work or be a little bit longer of a process..for both to get the home, or Is there something that Meghan can do or try to do to find another alternative to go? We also are actually wondering if we could maybe some kind of way take the 8,000 credit thing (if that’s even true), and maybe buy the house, and use the $8,000 which we would have the 3% and qualify for the FHA loan…remember the one we need 3% down that we don’t have. Again Meghan IS a first time home buyer. (We don’t have any co-signers by the way)......They have to do it together, or just Meghan for the $128,000...We are stumped!! I tried to give as much needed information as possible for the best accurate answer. All Opinions, answers, and explanations, & ideas, will be greatly appreciated!! & if you have any more questions that you may need to know, I WILL do my best to answer when i sign back on. Thank you very Much!!

• B
    Favorite Answer

Well first of all either one of them would have to have perfect credit to get it by theirselves so I dont think that is going to be an option. With either one one of those loans you do have to pay it back like a regular loan its just insured by the federal government and all that really does is protect the mortgage company if you dont pay. Now on FHA it allows you to have the 3% down payment given to you by a grant program like ameridream or nehemiah or a gift from a relative. It soungs like one of you alls major problem is that they have too much credit and so its making their debt to income ratio too high for a mortgage. What they would need to do is not get get another card or line of credit but to pay their current credit lines down to have no more than 25% percent charged out and then they would have 75% percent available credit. With FHA it is a little leanier on credit but does require you to not have any late payments at all within the last 12 months, if they do have any late payments that are showing up on their credit report then you would either need a letter of explanation with a good reason why you were late but if you have have more than one or cannot get that letter than you are out of the running for FHA. If they are getting denied then there is no way to fix their credit and go through the purchase and closing within three months, it will take at least six months for any one of their credit to update and closing can take as long as three. Now the tax credit is only if you have purchased a new house between september 2008 until july 2009, but then you would have to claim that on next years income tax and you would get up to $8500 back with your refund depending on the purchase price of the house, but you have to actually buy it first then claim it. Pre- approval is just the beginning you have to go through the underwriting process and that is very lengthy and they need everything, and when I say everything I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!!! Thats about all I can think of to tell you right now but if you want to e-mail me with any more questions I will be glad to help, I can give you the e-mail of my mortgage guy who is awesome and maybe he can help you but if not he will tell you exactly what needs to be done. Go to FHA.GOV and they have all the grant programs listed.

Source(s): Just bought a new house 6 months ago.

Unless you are willing to let this other women own half of our house, you can't have her be a co-signer on the loan. I would suggest going to the cheaper home at 75k and upgrading once you can afford to do so or once your credit is better off.

Paying off the credit card debt will help raise her credit score especialy if she is near here credit limits

it sounds to me as though you are not in a place to buy a house and are just trying to force a square peg into a round hole

heres the deal. don't buy a house with a boyfriend and a friend.

If you can't afford the house, you can't afford to buy it at this time.

You don't have the credit, income or cash to buy.

You are getting into a situation that WILL blow up later.

in regards to the 8000 tax credit. this is give to you AFTER you settle and after you file your taxes. IT CANNOT be used towards the downpayment.

FHA is 3.5% down.

Bottom line, do not do this. You are getting in over your head.

pay off all credit card debt. (or as much of it as possible in 2 months) now the 8000.00 is the first time home buyers tax credit no you can't get it till you purchase a home. and do your 2009 tax return. good luck.

MY NEPHEW WENT FOR THE GOV. PROGRAM FOR FIRST TIME BUYERS, IT TAKES AWHILE BUT THEY GOT THE GRANT AND HAVE BAD CREDIT, THEY GOT A LOWER INTEREST RATE THEN US. THEY GOT 3,000.00 TOWARDS THE HOUSE, REALITORS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS. ALSO THRU THE GOV. HELP THEY DONT GO BUY CREDIT. I WOULD CHECK WITH THE GOV. TO SEE IF THIS IS IN AFFECT NOW. IF YOU DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU USE ONLY A GOV. WEBSITE, THERE ARE SCAMERS OUT THERE WHO ARE NOT WITH THE GOV. AND WANT MONEY.

Source(s): FBI-IRS-FEDERAL.GOV