Sweety Singh asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

What are the rules regarding illegal sticks in the NHL?

Yesterday Spezza gets caught with an illegal stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd_sVCqkmS4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

What are the rules regarding this and what makes a stick illegal? I vaguely remember hearing something about this a very long time ago but I've never seen this rule in effect. Do a lot of players use illegal sticks?

Favorite Answer

i think the illegal sticks have more of a curve than regular sticks so it gives that player more control of the puck, and therefore more of an advantage

"The blade of the stick shall not be more than three inches (3") in width at any point between the heel and ½" in from the mid-point of the tip of the blade, nor less than two inches (2"). All edges of the blade shall be beveled. The curvature of the blade of the stick shall be restricted in such a way that the distance of a perpendicular line measured from a straight line drawn from any point at the heel to the end of the blade to the point of maximum curvature shall not exceed three-quarters of an inch (3/4")."

I believe you are asking two questions here. What constitutes an illegal stick and what is the rule about having a player's stick checked during a game?

I'll answer the second one first. At anytime during a game, a coach can ask the referee to check an opposing player's stick when that player is on the ice with that stick. If the referee determines it's illegal then the player gets a 2 minute penalty. If it's not, the coach's team gets a delay of game penalty. That's to ensure the game would get bogged down in delays for stick checks.

It's been a long time since I can recall one being requested and I think I know why. During the 80s and 90s, stick checks were common in the playoffs. If a team was losing by one goal late in the game, the coach would call a stick check to try to gain a power play or even additional penalty (seen coaches gamble!) Over time, most players learned to swap the illegal stick for a legal one late in the 3rd period and a lot of requests began to backfire. That's why we haven't seen one in years as most coaches gave up that tactic. Well, Ron Wilson was shrewd and figured after all these years players now don't do it and he was right. Clever move even though I am a Sens fan.

As for what constitutes an illegal stick, you can check the NHL web site and read all the rules (www.nhl.com) But it's mostly the curve. In the late 50s, early 60s curved sticks became popular and shooters had a huge advantage. Scoring surged so the league introduced rules on the amount of curve to even things out. Recently they have relaxed the rules on curves but still there is a limit. Also there are limits on the length and size of the sticks, in particular the blade.

Yes, a lot of players use illegal sticks. Just what percentage is hard to determine or estimate, but I'd say at least 50% do but, if smart enough, switch them late in the game to avoid being caught. Spezza was caught sleeping and knew it when Wilson pointed to him late in the game. Spezza's reaction gave away he knew he had an illegal stick.

-- Liam

a few years ago the NHL changed the rules because Jager would not quit playing with his illegal stick

banana curves used to be illegal but now these rules seemed to be gone

• Chris

Yeah, I was watching that game too, Ron Wilson's got a good eye.

It's if a stick is too long, and if the blade is too thick, or too curved.

• I saw this on center ice... and it was something about the stick beingn too thick... i was a little confused myself on that one... i would imagine it has to do with tape or something b/c why would a pro stick be made too thick?

• cme

I guess you're not supposed to be able to shave with your stick.

• Its because of the curve.