Medieval Ages Topic???????

On an event or person from the Middle Ages... Any ideas?

It could be more than an event, like a custom or culture.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You could write about monasticism or even a specific order such as the Cistercians.

You could pick a specific art topic like Gothic or Romanesque Architecture. Or you could write on specific type of object like illuminated manuscripts.

There are a multitude of interesting people. You could pick almost any king. William the Conqueror, Frederick Barbarosa, or Louis IX come to mind. A really good choice would be Harold Hardrada would be really interesting. Many of the religious leaders are fascinating, St. Francis, Gregory the Great or Innocent III. You could combine royal and religious and write about the conflict between Henry II and Thomas Becket. You could also pick a minor figure. One I really like is William Marshall. He was, in a sense, the first sports hero in Europe, making a fortune fighting tournaments. There are some nice biographies of Eleanor of Aquitaine, who was married to two kings and the mother of two more.

If you something closer to the common people, you could try Margery of Kempe, who was an interesting woman who left one the earliest biographies. There was also a family called the Paxtons who left a long series of letters between family members. They give an interesting insight into the minds of the gentry, during the middle a nasty civil war.

I'm sorry if my suggestions are tilted a bit towards England, but that is where my interests lie.

• 1 decade ago

Well, you might write about medieval pilgrimages, which were an interesting custom. People used to go on pilgrimages to visit religious shrines. The most important one in England was St Thomas a Beckett's shrine in Canterbury, and Our Lady of Walsingham in Norfolk was another important one.

People of all classes used to go on pilgrimages (as you can see from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) and it was more than a religious experience, for many people it was an adventure and a holiday as well.

Another interesting topic to write about might be medieval castles, what they were for, how they were built, the kind of people who lived in them (a castle was a whole little world of all sorts of different people and activities).

Some interesting events from the middle ages you might write about include the Viking raids, the Norman Conquest, the Crusades, the war between King Stephen and his cousin the Empress Matilda in the 12th century, King John and the Magna Carta, the murder of Thomas a Beckett, the Black Death, the Hundred Years War, the Wars of the Roses, the invention of printing, Richard III and the Princes in the Tower, the travels of Marco Polo, the painful story of Abelard and Heloise.

• 1 decade ago

The Danse Macabre, an artistic movement that represented the physical effects of the Black Death in art.It began in the late 14th century

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.