I need some information about the ACT....?

How were the norms established?

How has the test changed over time?

How is it scored?

How have scores changed over time?

What controversies have surrounded its use?

I need to get the answers for a psychology class project. Appreciate it!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

ACT, Inc., was originally known as the American College Testing Program, Inc., but changed its name to ACT Inc., the letters not standing for anything, in 1996. In 2002 the company was restructured to include "Education" and "Workforce Development" divisions, each overseen by its own advisory board. Each state also has its own state organization, and the entire company is overseen by a board of directors made up of 14 members. When high school students become sophomores, they take the PLAN test to help decide if they will want to take the ACT the following year.

In 2005 the company established ACT International. This organization is composed of ACT Education Solutions, Limited, and ACT Business Solutions, B.V. ACT Education Solutions is directed toward helping non-native speakers learn English in preparation for studying at an English-speaking educational institution. ACT Business Solutions attempts to help employers assess their employees' level of English proficiency through use of the WorWork Keyssessment.

Following an article in the Des Moines Register in November 2007,as of Spring 2008, ACT Inc.'s non-profit status was under investigation by the Iowa Attorney General's office for disproportionate compensation for both its C.E.O. Richard Ferguson as well as members of its board.

ACT, Inc. says that the ACT assessment measures high school students' general educational development and their capability to complete college-level work with the multiple-choice tests covering four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and science. The optional Writing Test measures skill in planning and writing a short essay. Specifically, ACT states that its scores provide an indicator of "college readiness", and that scores in each of the subtests correspond to skills in entry-level college courses in English, algebra, social science, humanities, and biology.

To develop the test, ACT incorporates the objectives for instruction for middle and high schools throughout the United States, reviews approved textbooks for subjects taught in Grades 7-12, and surveys educators on which knowledge skills are relevant to success in postsecondary education. ACT publishes a technical manual that summarizes studies conducted of its validity in predicting freshman GPA, equating different high school GPAs, and measuring educational achievement.

All of which I got from going to wikipedia. I know I didn't answer all your questions up there but if you read the wiki article it might.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i dont care

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.