Sharp pain in chest when exhaling/laughing/coughing?

Whenever I exhale almost all the way, or when I laugh or cough, there's this sharp pain inside my chest, almost under my left nipple, almost towards the rib area.

I'm not obese; thin actually. I don't a lot of fast food.

Is this heart related? This has been going on since a few days ago... and avoiding laughing really sucks.

• Favorite Answer

i'm not a doctor, but i had something like that happen. it felt like i was having a heart attack! but i went to the doctor and he said it was probably just inflamed cartilage (between my ribs). you can irritate it sometimes by lifting weights and stuff like that. if that seems like it could be the cause, just take some kind of pain reliever and ice it a couple times a day.

Chest Pain While Laughing

OK- the most common cause of this type of pain is a misaligned rib. While all the other options listed are possible options, all are very rare. I would recommend going to a chiropractor. They will be able to diagnose the problem. If it is any of the other conditions, they will give you a referral right away. But if it is a rib, The will be able to realign it. You will feel almost instantaneous relief.

I personally have seen patients with ribs out of alignment and it is excruciating. Once the ribs are realigned, they are doing much better. Keep in mind, once the ribs are realigned there will still be pain, but it will be a dull achy muscular type pain instead of the sharp pain.

I wish you the best

Source(s): Chiropractor awaiting license

Could be lots of stuff, but I think most of costochondritis- the cartilage where your breastbone and ribs meet may be inflamed. And it hurts like he$$.

It's most likely Pneumonia but go see your primary doctor. Pneumonia is a serious illness, mostly depending on how bad you have it. It's lung related. Whether it is or isn't I nor anyone else here don't know. Go see your doctor.

Sounds like pleurisy,go to the doctor !