When people claim they want to respect the "traditional definition of marriage"...?

Do they mean the REAL "traditional" definition of marriage, that has been around since this country was founded? "Marriage is a union between a man and woman of the same race" Or do they mean the non-traditional, more recent definition which has been around for a mere 42... show more Do they mean the REAL "traditional" definition of marriage, that has been around since this country was founded?

"Marriage is a union between a man and woman of the same race"

Or do they mean the non-traditional, more recent definition which has been around for a mere 42 years:

"Marriage is a union between a man and woman"
?

I hear people claim they want the definition of marriage to be the same as it was when the country was founded (I actually heard a quote from Ken Starr say exactly this), so I am assuming they mean the former definition, correct?