British or American Humorous Literature, Suggestions?

I'm taking a class on Wit and Humor and must choose a book for a research paper. I need a humorous author who is considered to write 'literature.' I need a work that potentially has peer reviewed scholarly articles associated with it.

I'm at a loss.

Suggestions?

These are great suggestions.

Chaucer, Twain, Austen, Ambrose Bierce, Stoppard, and David Foster Wallace are all covered in my class otherwise.

• CD
    Best Answer

Oscar Wilde primarily wrote comedies/farces. I think "The Importance of Being Earnest" is probably his best and funniest play.

Oliver Goldsmith's "The Vicar of Wakefield" would be an interesting choice because it is a satire of serious tragedy and pulls the imitation off so well that it could almost work as one. Another Irish/British humorist was Jonathan Swift, and the ever-popular "Gulliver's Travels".

Henry Fielding's "The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling" is pretty funny and a landmark in English literature.

A couple other famous humorists are: Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, George Bernard Shaw, Jane Austen.

Kingsley Amis british - Lucky jim will meet your needs

Jerome K Jerome - three men in a boat

• lembo

that's as much as you to settle on what to take. i could propose sitting in on a classification, or staring on the teachings and gaining awareness of approximately them. Then i could pick the single that interest you the main. even if, my popular could be American Literature. i wish that facilitates!