Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Mets release Duaner Sanchez: Good move or not?

I'm on the fence with this one. He wasn't having a good Spring Training. This move is more economical though. He was due 1.68 million, but if he was cut, the Mets would only have to give him about 422K, so they about 1.25 million left over, if they choose to use than on Ohman or Beimel. In a way though, I kind of like the move, because it ''flushes out'' the tastes of the '07 & '08 bullpen. The only guy to remain who was there the last 2 seasons was Feliciano, and only last season was Brian Stokes. Those were the Mets arguably two best relievers, so it's not a bad thing.

Update:

We'll have to wait and see with Duaner. This move opens up 1 or 2 slots in the bullpen for other guys now. If Redding's the 5 starter, they'll be able to pick two relievers, one likely being Ron Villone. If Redding's the long reliever, Brian Stokes will probably take the middle relief role Sanchez occupied and they'll likely give Villone or De Los Santos the other spot.

Update 2:

Please don't post ads about Rotozoo in your answers lol

Update 3:

Niese probably wouldn't be placed on the roster as a long reliever because they envision him as a starter in the future. It's possible he'll take over the 5 SP role at some point during the season. It's possible Livan could be the long reliever, but he really hasn't pitched in that role before. Plus, the Mets may not want to pay him one million. The reason why Redding's probably the long reliever if not the 5 starter is because he's guaranteed 2.25 million.

Update 4:

I think their mostly experimenting with the idea, especially with Jose Reyes away. I don't know if they'll use Reyes to bat third, but it's an interesting idea. Daniel Murphy would be an ideal 2 hitter, right in between, with his discipline, patience and ability to go the other way. It'd make the line-up even stronger with Wright batting 4th, Delgado 5th, Beltran 6th and Church 7th. Castillo's hitting .294 in ST, which is close to his career batting average, so that's a good sign.

Update 5:

Pelfrey should be able to play. He's scheduled to make his next start which will probably be over this upcoming weekend.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

His "stuff" was way down this spring and he's never regained the mound presence he had a few years ago.

As you said, the move was a lot about economics and gives them a bit more flexibility to shift around players in the pen. Remember also that the bullpen earned a good chunk of the blame for two late-season collapses now, so maybe they're also looking for new blood to change the attitude in the pen.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I believe that they should have gotton rid of him in a trade like the rest of their bullpen. I know they just wanted to see if he would preform this year, and gambled on him. Now that they see that he won't preform, the Mets only have to pay him a small portion of his salary. I also agree that Redding will prbably end as the fifth starter, and that means that people like Hernandez and possibly Knight or Niece can take the long reliever spots in the bull pen. Before anyone says anything, Knight and Niece do show promise (especialy Niece), and they need professional experience. They will get that experiance in the bullpen. The only bad thing about dropping Sanchez is that is leaves more question marks in the bullpen. They already have many:

1. Will Pelfrey be able to play

2. Will the 2-5 starters be able to preform

3. Who will the fifth starter be

4. Should Castillo lead off

5. Who takes Sanchez's place

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since he had that taxicab accident in 2006, he hasn't been the same pitcher and may never be able to return to where he was.

This is a good move, because after the atrocious year the bullpen had last year, the Mets have to move forward. They gave him the opportunity to make the club and when he wasn't getting it done, they made the move.

Its time to move on, and they did what was right. Now, I'd hate to see them get stupid and bring back Pedro Martinez.

Source(s): Mets' fan...
  • 1 decade ago

The Mets this year seem to know that a good bull pen isn't enough and are trying to assemble a great bull pen to compliment their excellent starters.

More power to them for having learned a bitter lesson and then acting on it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think It was a good move he was not the same after the injury.

• 1 decade ago

bad move..he's good reliever juts a bit of a douche

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a fantastic move

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.