rcds23
rcds23 asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

What Makes a Good Fantasy Baseball Team?

I have been wondering for years now, what is the trick to drafting a solid 12 team head to head baseball team? Seems like I think I draft well each year but I don't. Can someone help or share some insight? Thanks!

• JimBo
    Favorite Answer

There are a few tricks to drafting solid teams, but the draft is only a starting point. I have been out drafted many times, but still placed higher than other teams with better drafts due to mid-season acquisitions. While the draft is probably more important, I'd say, mid season acquisitions could make up near 33% of your success if you do it right.

As for draft tips, this is a good question. In fact a great question. Everyone has their own strategy, and there isn't one general "perfect" strategy. But, there are some pointers and insights I can give.

1. H2H leagues require less of a balanced team. While the best balanced teams still usually win, teams that sacrifice SB for an extra power slot, or sacrifice Saves for more SP (increasing W and K) are legitimate contenders. Granted this can also hurt you, if your pitchers hit a slump at the same time, you'll lose almost every pitching category. You need to know what you want from your team heading into the draft.

2. Focus on roster slots with less depth. I'm sure you're aware the positions with less depth, so focus on them early. Don't draft them rounds 1-3, but make sure you have these positions filled by the 10th round. Positions like OF and SP have tons of depth, and you can fill them up.

3. Your bench should have 1-2 hitters max. Unless there is an absolute STEAL, put most of your bench as SP. Unlike other leagues there is no inning maximum per week, or per season in H2H, so throwing an extra SP or two, or even three can give you the boost needed in W, K, ERA and WHIP.

4. Offense heavy and Pitching heavy teams may do well, but rarely win championships. I have tried both, and been successful with both, but would have been more successful had I been more balanced. Neither team won the Championship. Both teams came in 6 out of 12.

5. Follow the draft closely. Look at who is taken. In my one draft this year, Mauer (C) was taken in the 2nd round. People began to panic for some reason and the top 10 Catchers were taken by round 6. I snagged Soto, and then took advantage of players left over. I another draft, one guy walked out with 7 of the top 10 Closers, and is now dishing them out at a high cost. Had other managers paid attention and grabbed Closers, he wouldn't have any trade leverage. The rest of his team is fairly weak but he is catching up because guys are willing to make bad trades to round out their teams.

6. Have fun with the draft. I was in a draft with some obnoxious people, and in one with some pretty cool people. Just draft your team and have fun. Don't forget to keep up with the season and upgrade your team as needed. Both of my league championships are due to mid season upgrades which made an average draft team stellar.

7. Good Luck!

I got my 3rd Draft Tomorrow AM. Wish me luck too!

1. Make your own pre-ranks: Using what you get from a magazine is fine, but that data is often outdated and not fluid.

2. Don't overvalue or undervalue players based on age alone: I've made this mistake in the past, by focusing on hot rookies and ignoring guys in their late 30's who are still productive. In order to succeed, you need to draft based purely on stats and health. Also, most rookies don't live up to the hype.

3. See what other owners' tendencies are: If you have a Phillies fan who is sure to take Utley or Howard in the first round, account for that. If you have an owner who drafts a lot of rookies, then account for the fact that rookies will come off the board early.

4. Have fun: It's just a game. No need to stress.

Here are my golden rules when I draft a fantasy team and I generally do pretty well (almost always in top 3, have won numerous public and private leagues).

1. Draft hitting over pitching. Hitters are far more reliable in production than pitchers is so it's safer to build a foundation in your early picks on offense rather than pitching. I rarely draft pitching until the fifth round or later.

2. Don't draft closers until late in the draft. They are really only good for one stat (saves) and the turnover in closers over the course of the seasonis very high. As long as you pay attention on FA/waiver wire, you'll have no problem getting saves. Let other managers waste their high picks on closers while you stockpile offensive depth and starting pitching. In head to head leagues, I often punt saves and concede that stat but instead use my roster spots for more starting pitching that enables me to dominate wins and K's in exchange.

3. Don't give credit to a player for a skill they haven't yet proven to you. A great tip from an ESPN fantasy site. Just because a player has the "potential" to hit 30 HR and steal 30 bases, don't value him as such until he actually does it.

4. When in doubt, draft the best player on the board when your pick comes up and don't overvalue "position scarcity."

5. Be a contrarian. If there is a sudden run on a position, rather than picking an inferior player for that position, take advantage by getting better players on other positions that the other teams are overlooking.

6. It's far better to draft a player you want a round early than not at all. If there is a player you really, really want and have valued higher than most, it's preferable to pick him on the early side rather than risk waiting until he slips to a lower round. Chances are, there's a player just as astute as you that will pick him up, leaving you disappointed.

I practice the belief that Corner Infielders are the cornerstone of any Fantasy baseball offense. That means a top 1B and 3B are essential to success. Middle infielders can always be replaced on the waiver wire thruout the year as very few have any outrageous production levels.

nicely.. choose for David Wright or Pujols first in case you have a severe draft %. or Cabrera or Sizemore in case you have a prior due %... in certainty do no longer choose for Pitching too early.. some reliable closers you may save a watch on in around..15-sixteen are Motte, Lindstrom and Capps. Get a beginning pitcher around around 7.. Fill infield first. in case you will get Rollins, Reyes or Hanley Ramirez alongside with your first draft %. do it. SS is the scarcest place this year. Catchers around around 6-7 circulate to ESPN and inspect the delusion projections for extra element.. some gamers to stay faraway from.. Jeter (11 HRs and 11 SBs final year) Adam LaRoche (reliable stats..yet all of them got here after the all-megastar wreck) and finally.. Ugh idk.. ESPN's delusion projections will furnish help to better than me. stay faraway from Alex Rodriguez except he's there interior the third or 4th around. some reliable newbies : Wieters (won't get mentioned as up for 2 months or so however.. could wanna stay faraway from him) Cameron Maybin.. great skill. Colby Rasmus...great Spring Jed Lowrie ... no longer a rookie yet a actual sleeper.. best spring.

Totally depends on the format, head to head or roto..

With Roto, you can lean one way and pick up on a few categories hoping you can manage enough points in others to win outright.

H2H requires more balance I think

The best advice though, is play to the settings.

baseball sucks