Do you have to ask BJJ instructors before you compete in a grappling tournament?

I've been traingin martial arts for 6 years. I did a good amount of BJJ at my old school, as well as other martial arts. At that school I wasn't ranked in BJJ. I'm now going to an all BJJ school, and I told them I have some BJJ background, but didn't tell them how much I really have. The problem... show more I've been traingin martial arts for 6 years. I did a good amount of BJJ at my old school, as well as other martial arts. At that school I wasn't ranked in BJJ. I'm now going to an all BJJ school, and I told them I have some BJJ background, but didn't tell them how much I really have. The problem is, that I want to go to NAGA World's which is in a month, and I've only been going to this new BJJ school for 3 weeks. I think if I asked my instructor he would think I was crazy for entering the advanced division, but I've already won the beginner and intermediate, so I'm not allowed to compete any lower.