calf pains while running?

I was running today, and I had this pain and stiffness in my left calf. Then it felt like there was this big lump that was about to burst. Does anyone know what this is??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave E
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you tore some muscle fibers. The worst thing you can do for that is stretch it until the pain in swelling subsides. Ice, maybe ibuprofen, and no running until the pain subsides. You might consider inserting a thin heel lift in your shoe to take some pressure off of your achilles, calf when you resume, at least temporarily. Once you are sure the injury is gone, remove the insert. (I have a hunch you are a toe runner- maybe you can also try to land more flat footed).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

When it started hurting in the beginning, had you been doing a lot of uphill training? This is very often the cause of pain in that area. Not all Achilles Tendon injuries are the same; so it still may be that problem. However, a test is, if you run uphill, does it hurt more than on a flat surface? Also, the front of your leg may be too tight and be pulling on the back of the leg; or, esp, the hams tighter and pulling. Be careful in diagnosing this properly, because in some tendonitis injuries, running through the injuries can cause a continued breakdown where it continues to deteriorate, whereas with other sorts of injuries or strains, you can keep running through the pain if you're careful without any long-term consequences. You can alternate ice-and-heat right after running. You may also try come acupuncture in that area, if the tendon or some sort of musculature is simply going tight. However, clear that with a sports doctor, because in certain injuries things such as manipulating or massage can help--but with certain tendon injuries, massage can hurt it. Good luck--and hold off running for a while and cross-train until you figure it out.

• 1 decade ago

You just cramped up. Stretch it out before running. If it cramps up during your run, find a wall and press your feet against it to stretch it out.

• 1 decade ago

It sounds like you had a muscle cramp, either from too much exercise or dehydration.

Drink plenty of water, massage gently, and stretch the muscles, but don't over do it and stretch too far.

This may be a sign of lack of potassium.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that happens to me when i don't stretch. it feels like your muscles are about to burst doesn't it? well if it does i recommend to stretch before you run so your muscles won't hurt next time. hope this helps.

Source(s): experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Toull need to streach ur akkilies by standing one foot back and one in front and leaning forward

• 1 decade ago

stretch more! before, but deffinatley after running. afterwards your muscles are warm and can be stretched a lot more. to stretch your calves... http://www.live2run4fun.com/images/stretch1.JPG

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.