Marianne F asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If I put out boric acid balls to kill insects, will it harm my chihuahuas if they eat any of it?

I don't think they will bother it and I was told it was not toxic to mammals but I'd rather not take the chance if there's any risk.

Favorite Answer

Boron compounds are low to very low in toxicity when

inhaled (2). The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

(EPA) has not required inhalation toxicity studies for boric

acid (1).

• Boric acid is low in toxicity when applied to the skin (1). It is

poorly absorbed in rabbits across intact skin, but damaged

skin experiences increased penetration (7).

• The U.S. EPA classifies boric acid as low to very low in

toxicity for skin irritation (1).

• Data are not available regarding the ability of boric acid to

affect skin sensitivity (1).

• Boric acid is generally low in toxicity for eye irritation. An

exception is a specific boric acid salt, which is highly toxic to

the eye (1).

• In a 90-day study, investigators fed dogs boric acid. At the highest dose, they noted altered blood chemistry, a buildup

of fat in select tissues, and toxicity to the testes (1).

• Researchers fed dogs boric acid in the diet for 2 years and detected no adverse health effects(1).

• Signs of toxicity in laboratory animals poisoned with boric acid include depression, impaired muscle movement,

vomiting, purple-red skin color, and lowered body temperature (6).

Boric Acid Pets

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): put boric acid balls kill insects harm chihuahuas eat it: https://biturl.im/Rqn9n

I would use the powder form of boric acid (Borax), I use it because I have 3 dogs and just didn't want to risk using anything other than a fine powder to sprinkle into the base-boards and such.

From what I have read you should not use it where Pets and Children are it can cause upset stomach, diarrhea and vomiting. Since you have such a small dog, I certainly wouldn't risk it.

I have used it for years with no negative results. Put the powder where the dogs won't track it but the bugs will.

Put it way under the furniture and fridge where they can't reach it. It'll be there to do it's job, and they won't be able to touch it.

Helloooooooooooooooooo! what part of boric acid being extremely corrosive are you not understanding? If you don't believe me research it like you should have done to begin with instead of getting on here.

• corrosive to what? I wouldn't think your floors, baseboards or your dog are going to rust!!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ayfXO

frontline does not kill certain breeds of dogs. you just want to make sure u get the right weight class for your dog. I would use frontline plus. It kills flea eggs, larvae and adult fleas. im not sure about the borox.

Yes, it will harm your dog, since chihuahuas are very delicate. I wouldn't do it, if I were you.