Youth arrest record expunged at 18?

I am looking for clarity regarding my friends criminal arrest record.he was arrested for shoplifting at the age of 15. he was told that due to his age it, and all DNA/fingerprints etc, would be expunged from his criminal record once he reached the age of 18. However when he was 19 he had to submit his name for a... show more I am looking for clarity regarding my friends criminal arrest record.he was arrested for shoplifting at the age of 15. he was told that due to his age it, and all DNA/fingerprints etc, would be expunged from his criminal record once he reached the age of 18. However when he was 19 he had to submit his name for a secret service check to make it possible for him to gain entrance into the Queen's church at Cumberland lodge- he failed this check and was not permitted entry on the grounds of his criminal record. he is concerned about the matter again as his future career options may depend on a valid CRB check.

any ideas? i think he is awaiting reply for email the relirelevantice station but 3 i thought i would try to help to