ce asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Any multi-surface cycling shoes?

I'm in the market for new cycling shoes. I spend most of my time spinning indoors, but now that the weather is nice I'm back to the streets (road bike) and trails (MTB). I would like a shoe that I could use for all three, but Im a little unsure if such a thing exist. I guess I'm just looking for a good multi-surface cycling shoe (i.e., I want to have my cake and eat it too). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Favorite Answer

Any mountain bike shoe with a less aggressive sole can be used for spinning or for cycling both on and off road. Of course, you have to use the same type of pedal on your road and mountain bikes, so you will have to choose a mountain bike type pedal for use on the road. There are many shoes out there that can accept both the 3 bolt Look style cleats, and the 2 bolt SPD style cleats, but it would not be practical to be switching cleats all the time if you want to use a road pedal with larger cleats. The shoe that you use depends on the pedal, not the other way around. So if you want to use the same shoe for spinning, road, and mountain biking, you will have to by a pair of shoes, and pedals that accept the same type of cleats as the pedals on the bikes where you do your spin classes.

Shimano makes a nice mountain bike shoe that looks nice and is not very expensive. SH-MT31 shoes look pretty cool for the price. The clips that go on the bottom of the shoe cost around $15 by them self but they come with pedals so you can get a pair of SPD pedals like the PD-M520 pedals for around $40. You can get a pair for your road bike to. The SPD shoes have the recessed clips that allow you to walk around in comfortably.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/P...