Koala Tamer asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Will I lose my cardio stamina since I can't run for 2 weeks?

I normally run about 3.5 miles per day, but I had jaw surgery on Friday and can't do high-impact aerobics for about 2 weeks. I've been walking my usual jog route, which takes about twice the time. When I try to run again, will it be extremely difficult? Do you think the walking will help me stay in shape somewhat?

Thanks!

I don't have a bike or gym access, so cycling is not an option, unfortunately.

• Dave E
    Favorite Answer

Great question- You will not lose anything at all in terms of conditioning of the muscle cells, however your blood volume will drop some. When you resume running, you will feel slightly uncomfortable for a week or 2 at the most.

It takes over 5 days to start losing stamina, though it is a very slight decline. After 2 weeks, I would say you would retain around 93% of the original running stamina.

Nah. I run and box for three hours each week but if I miss a week or two I'm still fine when I get back into the routine. Don't think you suddenly become unfit if you're out for a short time.

Yes, in about 2 weeks you will lose some of your conditioning, but you can get it back in a couple of weeks.

Walking will help your muscles, but it is not going to do much for your ability to run distances.

Since you are staying active it should not be too hard for you to get back into your normal routine.

Try cycling too, just don't fall into the habit of inactivity (Like i did, and am currently paying for now that sport has started again)