What is the difference between Sterile and Pyrogen Free ? (Relating to Pharmaceutical dosag forms)?

As I know, pyrogen free = being free of bacterial substances that can cause fever and Sterile = free from bacteria. However one of the dosage for ophthalmic solutions says solution doesn't have to be PYROGEN FREE but has to be STERILE. I don' t understand why and the difference between the two.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

A pyrogen can be anything that raises body temperature, including chemical agents. A solution can be sterile (bacteria-free) but still contain pyrogens (such as lipopolysaccharide, a substance found in some bacterial cell walls). The bacteria have been killed, but their chemical residues remain.

• 6 years ago

A pyrogen is a fever-producing substance/agent. Therefore pyrogen free means there are no fever-producing substances that can induce fever. The substance can be either bacteria or any chemical agent. On the other hand, sterile means there are no bacteria on a surface. This means that a solution, for example, can be sterile but still contain pyrogens

• 4 years ago

Yes, your poem is Free Verse. Prose would wander from the stanza format, shed its metrical, rhythmic voicing and appearance, becoming more "paragraph bound" in its form. Prose depends on more nuanced lyrical flow, relying on factors like "long vowels" and their relationship with consonants. It might also be more demanding of the reader, than the other two forms. Blank Verse is a sibling of free verse, with the obvious difference of being composed in Iambic Pentameter meter. Honey is a natural enemy of bacteria. It was cultivated and used by ancient Egyptians on wounds to stop its spreading. Your poem is bordering on the abstract, with a subtle, philosopical thread binding its message I don't think transcendental would be a stretch, here. Clever, LC, if not immediately understandable. Several re-reads garnered a deeper understanding.

• 3 years ago

Pyrogen Definition

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.