LOLchicka1987 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How to cut my dogs NAILS HELP!?

My dog bites when you try to cut her nails....what is a good way to train her not to?

Best Answer

Ditto to what everyone else said plus: try touching your dog's paws in a very calm, gentle manner when she is either asleep (as long as you are sure it would not freak her out--some dogs attack in their sleep) or when she is resting in a calm state or when she is cuddling with you and you are petting her. If she seems uncomfortable, then stop and ignore her completely. But make sure that you include touching her paws as a part of you petting her, so that she understands it is something she will have to at least tolerate. If she is calm and lets you touch her paws/nails without snapping, praise her or even give her a treat. But you want to do this gradually. If she snaps, you should ignore her and try later, but try only touching her paw briefly, for a second and gradually increase the time. Don't cut her nails until she will at least tolerate you touching her paws and nails. If they are too long now take her to the vet or a *good* groomer. Do everything within your power to keep from cutting your dog's nails to the quick (the part where you cut too much and it starts bleeding) because once you do that, the dog is going to be scared you will do it every time. I hope I helped! This is how I trained my cats to let me cut their claws. PS You can also try doing one nail at a time, and working your way up until you can do all paws in one sitting. But do not go beyond your dog's threshold, and watch for signs that she is uncomfortable so that she does not have to resort to biting you.

Source(s): training my cats

Desensitize her to you touching her paws. Have her lay down and touch her paw. Give her a treat if she acts calmly and does not react. Now go to a massage on the paw. Another treat for a good reaction.

Slowly work up to cutting a nail. (Over 2-3 weeks) Treat after every nail cut. Eventually you can treat after a paw is complete, rather than every nail.

Positive reinforcement is always worth a try. Give a bit of a treat and verbal praise each time she sees the trimmer, each time she will let you touch the trimmer to her nail(s.) Practice, practice, practice even when her nails don't need trimming. This way, she won't think it hurts every time. MOST dogs dislike nail trimming worst of all the different elements of grooming.

Last resort: Let your local vet do it. She will like you more, but she may not like going to the vet any more.

HI you probably need to start from scratch and touch her feet frequently and then start to mess with each toe and keep doing this over and over until she readily accepts you to touch her feet. When you try to trim her nails tell her no when she tries to bite and push her face away. You could try the Pedipaw nail trimmer. It takes forever to trim the nail though. I would just make sure you have a really good trimmer so it does not pinch the nail.

There's no proper way to cut your dog's nails on your own. I would suggest you let a vet cut it.

But if you really want to cut them yourself, you can first let your dog get used to you touching his paws. Once your dog is used to it, you won't have much trouble cutting his/her nails. [this is kind of hard to obtain since your dog might be afraid of the nail cutter itself just by looking at it.] You can try to let your dog see the nail cutter, sniff it, and if by luck, he/she won't mind having his/her nails cut.

Good luck~

have a vet or groomer teach you how to because you can cut them too short and they can bled profusely. also, you're running a chance of hitting a nerve and doing damage. plus the fact it it extremly painful for your pet. you and your pet will be thankful

Source(s): retired vet tech/groomer

play with her paws a lot and give her treats for being nice