pro-choice: At what point does a mass become a baby?

In what month is it a baby? Is it determined by when the mother decides if she wants it or not? Be specific cause in some states abortion is done all the way up to 9 months of pregnancy. Is it a baby yet? When does it become murder? When a botched abortion goes wrong and the baby is left on the table to die? I am just curious to know what determines when it is a mass and when it becomes a baby.

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

OK people, birthdate? Really, that's your argument? Birthdate is the date you were BORN! That has nothing to do with when is a baby a human life. Human life begins at conception. Why can't people understand that? Is it just to ease your own conscience? You don't age a person by their date of conception or it would be called your conception day! Good grief!

If a human was not conceived, there would be no humans. YOUR life began the moment your father's sperm penetrated your mothers egg! That is human life's beginning. That is scientific fact. Whether it is a squirming, multiplying, changing sack of cells or not, it is a human life. Again, that is how your life began! (WELL, MOST OF YOU)

And, whether or not abortion is LEGAL, it does not make it any less murder.

If you want to be pro-choice, be pro-choice and make conscious decisions to not get pregnant. There are literally hundreds of "birth control" methods. Abortion is NOT one of them.

And finally, to bash who answered so eloquently,

it is not PRO-LIFERS that are the criminals. The news reports cases everyday about partial birth abortions and the people who perform them. It isn't some fairy tale that anti abortion christians make up. You probably think the Holocaust was made up too. This happened on March 4th:

Fla. clinic owner arrested after botched abortion (dear Lord, she threw the baby away)

WSVN/Miami Herald/AP ^ | 3-4-09

Posted on March 4, 2009 11:06:11 AM CST by STARWISE

An abortion clinic owner accused of delivering a live baby during a botched procedure and then throwing the infant away was arrested Tuesday, authorities said.

Belkis Gonzalez, 42, was charged with practicing medicine without a license and tampering with evidence, both felonies, said Ed Griffith, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade State Attorney's office. If found guilty, Gonzalez would face at least a year in prison and up to 15 years.

The teenage mother, Sycloria Williams, has filed a lawsuit alleging that Gonzalez knocked the infant off the chair where she had given birth, and then scooped the baby, placenta and afterbirth into a red plastic biohazard bag, and threw it out.

• 1 decade ago

you don't know the laws whatsoever. abortions are ILLEGAL after viability unless the woman's life is at stake or the fetus is fatally ill. NOWHERE is an abortion legal up until the third trimester. second, baby is a term of endearment and not a scientific term. the fetus becomes a person at birth. personhood BEGINS at viability, hence why abortions are not legal beyond that. third, feoti are not left on tables to die if an abortion is botched because it's RARE for that to happen first of all, and second there are laws in place that state if a fetus is born alive during an abortion, that fetus needs to be cared for medically. get your facts straight before attempting to debate this subject

• lokan
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i'm professional selection, yet I never might advise to all and sundry in my opinion to get an abortion. Adoption is extra helpful, yet while adoption isn't a decision the only reason you may abort the youngster is that in case you have not have been given it in you to love and safeguard it. once you are the style of person that would desire to finally end up abusing or neglecting the youngster then for mercy's sake basically evaluate abortion as a final hotel. by how, on your preparation, delivery administration pills do not quit being pregnant, it only keeps the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus. So, in case you're very sexually lively and on delivery administration you're aborting an unborn newborn almost each month. you're appropriate a newborn isn't punishment, this is God's present to YOU which you would be able to additionally create life as he did. Kinda seems such as you do unlike his present and are sending it returned. for this reason maximum religions are against all varieties of delivery administration. God is professional life, he stated flow forth and multiply, be fruitful upon the earth. The e book of Enoch says that interior the top circumstances "women who're not infertile shall die childless by the artwork of their very own arms". i think of i might substitute my suggestions and develop into professional sensible GOD.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe we should get away from the word "baby" and talk about its humanity. The LAW has no authority to say whether a fetus is human or not. Laws have also permitted slavery and other horrors.

As a matter of biology, it's new and genetically separate life from conception. You're asking about rights, though, and since dead fetuses can't sue, vote, or communicate with people, no one who is for the right to abortion really cares about them, but they can get away with it. If its own mother doesn't want to bring it to term, it's pretty much screwed.

The homicide laws kick in when it's alive and out of the mother. That's why partial-birth abortions are done. There is no medical reason for the baby to still be partly inside the mother when its brains are being sucked out to kill it. And some of those kids are viable when that happens.

Interesting. I can see how uncomfortable your question is making some of our pro-abortion people. It's a VALID question, and you have every right to ask it. But they don't even want the question to be ASKED.

People like that scare me for the future of this country. They're the kind who will say they were "only following orders" without questioning, and actually think that that will absolve them of any moral obligation.

Source(s): Cutthroat, is the day after pill really available OTC? Sorry, it's been many years since menopause for me, but I didn't know that. I would have thought drug companies would be charging megabucks for it.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

That is a very good question!

At 2 months, it is not yet a human. At 5 months, it is a baby. Not exactly sure where the line shoudl be drawn, but I applaud you for addressing the core issue of the subject!

If the fetus early enough in the pregnancy to be just a lump of tissue, then the decision should be between the woman & her doctor.

If the fetus is late enough in the pregnancy to be clearly a human, then we would only take it's life to save another, ie, the mother.

• Bubuh
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Funny thing is even pro lifers probably can't answer this either. They don't count birth date from conception. No one hold funeral for destruction of embryos which happens regulary in in vitro fertilization.

They sure wouldn't value cells on petri dish more then breathing 10 year boy. And I can almost prove that. Now try answering this questions.

If there was fire in a building. And you have choice of saving either 10 year old boy from fire, OR you can save 1000 frozen embryo. Which do you save? Because if life begins at conception and is equal to full grown human then you should take 1000 frozen embryo, and allow 10 year old boy to die in fire.

• Sarah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When the fetus is viable.

Why do you have to lie? There IS NO "botched abortion' being left on the table to die. Partial Birth Abortion has been OUTLAWED in this nation since 2003. ANYONE comitting partial birth abortion, INCLUDING leaving a living child ANYWHERE to die, would be violating federal law. You should report them, not lie to us.

"The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act (Pub.L. 108-105, 117 Stat. 1201, enacted November 5, 2003, 18 U.S.C. § 1531[1], PBA Ban) is a United States law prohibiting a form of late-term abortion that the Act calls partial-birth abortion. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the term "partial-birth abortion" in the act pertains to a procedure that is medically called intact dilation and extraction. Under this law, "Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a partial-birth abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both." The law was enacted in 2003, and in 2007 its constitutionality was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart."

• By law, a fetus isn't "human" until 24 weeks gestation (6 months). No abortion can be legally performed past 12 weeks gestation (3 months). So it becomes murder when it is past 24 weeks.

That is the law of the land as most states' murder statutes define it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When I can remove it from my womb and hand it to you to change diapers then it is a baby. I would actually support some things to stop certain abortions, but unfortunately it's a slippery slope and if I give you one inch you will take it all. So for now, I support it all.

Liberal Democrat who is smart enough to know that abortion is not a method of birth control when you can get some pills for $4 and the day after pill is sold OTC.

• 1 decade ago

About 5 or 6 months into the pregnancy, when the nervous system is formed enough for the baby to experience pain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.