Why do so many people think bass is pointless?

I don't get it, bass is amazing yet only guitarists get credit for songs and stuff like that

Update:

I'm a dedicated bassist

BASS RULES!!!!

Update 2:

I know so many bassists who can shred faster than plenty of guitarists so if they're just as good they should get just as much credit

Update 3:

For all those who like bass check out my youtube video, called black sun: The Shim Effect

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

hey im a session drummer and producer and i can assure you they are the foundation of any good band or tune if they are wrong it wont matter how good the guitarist singer or anyone else is.In the sense of producing music especially electro techno house or dance music the bass lines are so so important they make or break a tune.The bass line and the drums are wot makes ppl get up and dance tap their feet or do wotever it is they do so in my books bassists are v.i.p

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bass and Drummers get little respect because they are not usually the front man (woman). They are usually not as flashy but take either out of the mix and you lose a lot of the feel. People don't realise that when they are dancing and bouncing to a great song, they are following the bass and drum beat. Listen to your favorite movie on surround sound "without" bass sub and see how pathetic it becomes. As far as I am concerned, "Good" Bassist are esential and my bassist is the one guy I am most in tune with in my band. Guitarists are egoists...they have there place but they need to show more lovef or the real back bone of the band....the Rythym section!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because playing guitar IS more difficult to do...

(Bass is kind of like the "grout" in the tiles to smooth out the treble of the whole guitar and drum thing, and to pump it up to the level of guitar playing is taking away extraordinary skill from the guitar player...

Any guitar player can be a great bass player...

But a stricly bass player cannot necessarily be a good guitarist...

)))(((GONG!)))(((

• 1 decade ago

BASS IS LIKE THE HEART OF A SONG... without bass, music sounds flat and lifeless

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Bass is not pointless. If you listen to any band without bass, it sounds so... weird.

All members of the band are important!

• Sting played bass for the police.

Source(s): nobody knows who the other band members were today.
  • 1 decade ago

Many people have no soul so bass becomes pointless to them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I love bass, it's the heartbeat of a band.

• 1 decade ago

i dont know why. bass is essential to a band. it holds the beat. and thats my favorite part.

• 1 decade ago

Thats not always true

ex. Pete wentz ; bass

hes more famous than anyone else in his band..i dont even know the lead guitarist name :/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.