Help with highschool baseball team....?

Ok well I am a Freshmen and my highschool baseball tryouts are tomorrow. I originally played 3rd base for my traveling team but for the past 2 years I have played catcher. People have told me what a great catcher I am but my heart is at third base. I am really determined to be the freshmen started at 3rd base but idk if I should try out for catcher? Should I bring my catcher gear? If I do I will get stuck behind the plate. So what do you think: Infield or catch?

• JimBo
    Favorite Answer

Don't try out for a position. Try out for the team. Play where you're needed most. I hated 3B when I played, but I was the best on my team for many years (middle through high school). Eventually I worked my butt off and proved myself worthy of middle infield, and got moved to SS (which I loved) when we had a decent enough 3B behind me. Tryout for the team first. Then work for the position you want. It may take a few years, but they are years you'll never regret.

Good Luck at tryouts.

The reality is if you sit the bench it doesn't matter if you think you can catch or play 3rd base. Bring your catcher gear and go for both positions. You will be able to figure out the position you have the best chance at after the first practice.

I loved 3rd base but if I didn't play Right Field, I would have played "Left Out." I loved the game so much that I took what I was given. The easiest way to make the major leagues is at catcher.

i would go for catcher. I myself play highschool baseball and there are much less catchers you will have a better shot at the team. Also, get to know your coachs. Dont make the same mistake i did, i played freshmen year but didnt play sophmore year because politics in my school got in the way. Dont let kids like that get in your way.

dude ive been in your situation last year let me tell you if your hearts not into being a catcher then dont do it. you're goina get hurt and worst of all not be that good and lose starting time so try for third.

Source(s): tried for catcher for a travel team last year after being really good the year before at catching, didnt wanna catch, sucked lost starting time. Tried for high school at short and made the team and more than likely going to start.

all depends on what you truely want to do. If your heart is really at third, go for it. But also make sure your coaches know that you can catch because its always a good thing to be able to play more than one position well.

nicely if u wanna be the starter for one in all those positions then u have were given to coach ur floor balls. bypass to a community field and produce a pal with u and make him hit floor balls to u. and once u get that down flow on to hitting. even as u hit the ball make confident u step in direction of the pitcher and force the ball by technique of extending the interior ur elbows and keep ur eye on the ball