Do most homeless people go to the public library to actually use it?

Ok, so I show up to the public library today 20 minutes before it opens. There are 30 or so clearly-homeless people waiting to enter. What percentage of these folks really want to use the library - and what percent of them are just looking for a place to hang out? Would most of these people be better served... show more Ok, so I show up to the public library today 20 minutes before it opens. There are 30 or so clearly-homeless people waiting to enter. What percentage of these folks really want to use the library - and what percent of them are just looking for a place to hang out?

Would most of these people be better served with a different place for them to go for, say, computer access? Or, is computer access a strictly-library function? Does the presence of masses of homeless people who use the library in a minimal fashion reduce library use in the general population? Or, am I just inappropriately annoyed at the B.O. and lingering? Perhaps these are simply side-effects of living in a world that rewards only the winners - and perhaps I'm naive to not want to be exposed to that reality when I go to the library.

What can be done to help these folks get themselves back on their feet? Also, is this that significant of a problem -- or is it just that it's visible... and that in fact other less visible problems deserve greater attention?
Update: I'm not going to ask them; I think it's a great idea that someone should do...it's just not for me at the moment as I have a VERY busy life right now. ALSO, yes, y'all have already provided great answers on this question. No, it's not a question that has simple answers. However, it is a question... show more I'm not going to ask them; I think it's a great idea that someone should do...it's just not for me at the moment as I have a VERY busy life right now. ALSO, yes, y'all have already provided great answers on this question. No, it's not a question that has simple answers. However, it is a question which arguably matters. Thanks for your ideas.