What is the lowest guitar tuning?

Me and my band are a hardcore metal band, I'm the guitarist.

I need a VERY low and heavy sound, but I need the absolute lowest tuning.

Anyone know what it is?

• Ken C
    Favorite Answer

If you put a .105 guage string on your guitar, you could conceivably tune down an entire octave. But, then what would the bass guitar do?

You've been watching Metalocalypse too much....just because it's low doesn't make it heavy (unless you record it in the Marianis Trench;).

What makes heavy is tone, arrangement, and attitude. And if you want to tune down some to make the song work with the vocalist, then that's cool.

That said, tune your guitar as low as you want, and then duke it out with the bass player.

Greetings from Austin, TX

Ken

Source(s): 40 years playing guitar and bass 35 years live performance 30+ years of audio and broadcast engineering
  • rhue

Lowest Guitar Tuning

Most stock guitars only tuned down to Drop C or Drop C#. You'll need a new nut, not to mention telephone cables for strings. I'd suggest using a 7-string in standard. A standard-tuned 7-string produces a sound equivalent to a Drop A tuned 6 string. Don't be fooled by low tunings, though. Many heavy riffs have been done in standard tuning or a half-step down (For You by Staind, Am I Evil by Diamond Head, Flesh Storm by Slayer to name a few)

Dropped D?Don't be ridiculous.... First off you can get a 7 string or lower guage strings and go for a dropped A, but I suppose there's no limit for how low it can go as long as the string stays taught. I'd imagine you could even tune the strings an octave below normal tuning and go for a super low dropped D, but you may even be able to go further than that

+1 on there being no particular limit. I've never gone lower than drop - C flat. But there were no probs there so you could go lower I spose. Your amp may stop sounding as good though. Start to get a bit woofy and so on.

for a six string, I know about Double Drop D1 which is Six full steps (one octave) down from Double Drop D. normal double drop d is just both E strings tuned to D. For a seven string there is Double Drop A1

dude depends how low but drop or open a are ****** up low but only if ur strrings are heavy gauge

C# (9 string bottom string) v0ry 00000!

Drop D, Is What Most Heavy Metal Bands Use.