What are the requirements to be "saved"?

I'm speaking of those things that are internal to the individual -- the conditions within a person to receive "salvation". Please be complete as possible and explain using your own words, since people interpret passages of scripture differently.

Please do not bother with responses that do not address the question itself, such as those who say that there is no such thing as deity or salvation.

If you need to, define salvation (in your own words) if it will help you respond to the question.

Thanks. I'm curious what people of various paths think about this.

I need to come back sooner for questions like this. Saying something, believing something, et al, do not deal with the inner feelings that I'm searching for. I will spend more time with some of the responses, but so far, no one has responded the way I had hoped.

Karl P -- you are getting close by talking about a person's heart. Are those the conditions, the requirements?

Potentiallywonderful -- getting there, but missing the point of my question. Those are the steps (or so it seems), and desire seems to be part of it, but is that all (from how a person feels within)?

Sunsandnrain and MondernDayPuritan -- copying stock answers just do not cut it for this kind of question. I don't want to know "how one knows when they are saved," and Sunsandnrain, I have no idea what you are going on about, I want to know the conditions or requirements for salvation from the point of view of the inner self of a person seeking it. I may have to reask this question with more qualifications to get what I'm seeking.

Jane M: "I believe this with all my heart" -- Now, examine your heart -- what is it like for you to be able to say this.

MondernDayPuritan - Even though you didn't address the question, you have still touched on what I'm looking for: What makes it possible for the power of God to work the miracle of salvation? What is it about a person that makes it possible for God to work with them?

Favorite Answer

"How can you know that you are saved?"

A two-year-old boy was once staring at a heater, fascinated by its bright orange glow. His father saw him and warned, "Don’t touch that heater, son. It may look pretty, but it’s hot." The little boy believed him, and moved away from the heater. Some time later, after his father had left the room, the boy thought, "I wonder if it really is hot." He then reached out to touch it and see for himself. The second his flesh burned, he stopped believing it was hot; he now knew it was hot! He had moved out of the realm of belief into the realm of experience.

Christians believed in God’s existence before their conversion. However, when they obeyed the Word of God, turned from their sins, and embraced Jesus Christ, they stopped merely believing. The moment they reached out and touched the heater bar of God’s mercy, they moved out of belief into the realm of experience. This experience is so radical, Jesus referred to it as being "born again." The Bible says that those who don’t know God are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1; 4:18). We are born with physical life, but not spiritual life. Picture unbelievers as corpses walking around who, by repenting and placing their faith in Christ, receive His very life. There is a radical difference between a corpse and a living, breathing human, just as there is when sinners pass from spiritual death to life. The apostle Paul said if you are "in Christ," you are a brand new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Those who now have God’s Spirit living in them will love what He loves and desire to do His will; they will have a hunger for His Word, a love for other believers, and a burden for the lost. The Holy Spirit also confirms in their spirit that they are now children of God (Romans 8:16). Those who believe on the name of the Son of God can know that they have eternal life (1 John 5:12,13).

Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, "My speech and my preaching were not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: that your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Corinthians 2:4,5). What Paul was saying was, "I deliberately didn’t talk you into your faith, but I let God’s power transform you." He didn’t reach them through an intellectual assent, but through the realm of personal experience.

Suppose two people—a heater manufacturer and a skin specialist—walked into the room just after that child had burned his hand on the heater. Both assured the boy that he couldn’t possibly have been burned. But all the experts, theories, and arguments in the world will not dissuade that boy, because of his experience. Those who have been transformed by God’s power need never fear scientific or other arguments, because the man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument. "For our gospel came not to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit, and in much assurance . . ." (1 Thessalonians 1:5).

Salvation means deliverance.

In the Old Testament God delivered from physical adversity affecting people's natural lives.

In the New Testament God delivers people from a state of separation from him, "spiritual death", "darkness, "sin" (error).

He does this by uniting us with him by us receiving His Spirit (Titus 3:5-6). It was (and is) known precisely when this happens, the recipients speak in tongues, a miraculous unlearned prayer language that God leads His people in

(Acts 2:4, 33, 39; 10:44-46, 1 Cor. 14:2, 4).

To receive this one must belieev that one needs it and desire it above all else, "thirst and you shall be filled".

This is called repentance. Water baptism is also commanded, showing no faith in self. These steps bring you into salvation.

You should then use what you have received by considering others that have it as your family and loving them as such.

+++++

It's a new start, like a seed must be buried and watered, so we are to be buried in baptism and receive the living water of the Spirit. That's how Jesus began, just follow him, that's faith, don't add to this.

For whosoever Calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13 KJV.

I believe this in my heart! I Called - I also try to Follow the Teachings of Jesus! I try and Pray that I am in the Will of God! I do believe that I am. Praise the Lord!

Peace to All and God Bless! Jane.

Source(s): Living My Live - Blessed of God!

If you confess with your mouth, Jesus is LORD and believe in your heart that He was raised from the dead, you will be saved.

Romans 10:4

Basically, just ask God for forgiveness, that's the only thing.

To get closer to God, however, pray often, read the Bible, sing praises, etc.(:

Source(s): Christian
  • Karl P

Just recognize that you are a sinner in need of The Savior and realize you are 'bankrupt' without Him, and with a sincere/convicted heart, invite Him in! Then with Faith, thank Him for doing so! (Then He will do the rest on your 'journey'!) Romans 10:9-13. <')))><

Performing one's duty.

Calmness of being.

Acceptance of current situation/life.

Giving without an eye on the return.

are some I can think of.

read that... read your bible too!