Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Was slavery under the laws of the OT really so bad ?

I seen a question last night saying how bad the bible was over slavery in the OT .

I am not talking about slavery like what happened to the black Americans , that was evil.

Slavery in the under the OT laws was a way to pay debts , you where feed , given shelter & had rights & it was for a set period .

Is there any real difference today ?

If you think so , you may have the illusion of being free but are you ? Miss a few mortgage payment & see how free you are .

Freedom is an illusion .

By the way I am not advocating slavery , just questioning how free we really are .

Anonnie Mouse

Ex 21:1_4

Du 15:12-18

Ex 21:7

Le 25:44-46.

Anonnie Mouse

Ex 21:1_4

Du 15:12-18

Ex 21:7

Le 25:44-46.

• Favorite Answer

Going on from your point about people thinking that they have freedom...

People often say that we as Jehovah's Witnesses are enslaved to our beliefs, that we are overly restricted by them but really we are set free by them.

We are free from superstitions

We are free from observing ungodly holidays so that we can choose whenever we want to give gifts to each other.

We are free from uncertainty about the future

And we are free from false worship & teachings (for example the hellfire teaching which is unbiblical)

John 8:32

You are very right. In the Old Testament, slavery was used as a way of neighbors and citizens to pay debts to one another. But it wasn't such a cut and dried thing. The debtor could be held even after his debt was paid if the person owed didn't think they got a comparable amount of work out of them. As well, the debt, if large enough, could also be passed down through generations.

Though there was one interesting detail about the way it was done. If a man owed someone else an enormous amount and even with entering into slavery his family "lost everything", things were set on a 50 year cycle so that families would have their holdings, land, etc returned to them or they could rightfully reclaim them every 50 years. That only applied towards things that were taken, not things honestly bought and sold.

Your sources for this supposedly fabulous fun OT slavery, please.

I hear christians make this claim all the time, but it seems to me you have not read your own bible if you think that slavery 2000 years ago was just a bowl of cherries.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Don't even get me started on how many times the bibles says it's just peachy to take young virgin women from neighboring villages, kill their entire families, rape them either force them to marry their rapist or keep them as sex slaves. Does that sound okay to you?

Please read the verse in the OT regarding slavery. The owner could legally whip a slave to death. The owner could force himself upon a female slave. I trust that you haven't read these verses because if you have and still wrote this question then your character as a person is deeply flawed.

Here's a great website for all questions about OT slavery:

http://www.rationalchristianity.net/slavery_ot.htm...

I agree , slavery is still in practice today , it is just different .

Have now , pay later , we are still selling ourselves.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose .

I agree freedom is an illusion.

Free range farms are cheaper and easier to manage.