promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Whats the the significance of of the circle Dr. Manhattan puts on his forehead in Watchmen?

I just saw it. He kinda just carves it out of nowhere, with no explanation. I figured maybe they explain it in the comic.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ml
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well that was a hydrogen atom. I think it something to due with nuclear weapons, like the hydrogen bomb. Plus the name of Dr. Manhattan is like the Manhattan project in the 40's

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • gagen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Dr Manhattan Symbol

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Whats the the significance of of the circle Dr. Manhattan puts on his forehead in Watchmen?

I just saw it. He kinda just carves it out of nowhere, with no explanation. I figured maybe they explain it in the comic.

Source(s): whats significance circle dr manhattan puts forehead watchmen: https://shortly.im/78a2n
  • 1 decade ago

On his forehead is the electron dot diagram for the hydrogen atom. Dr. Manhattan/ Dr. Jon Osterman - was also involved in the production of the hydrogen bomb. It's also the most abundant element in the universe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the significance of the hydrogen symbol on Dr Manhattan is one of Alan Moore's (the creator of the watchmen) ways of showing his irony. the hydrogen atom is the simplest atom in the universe. Alan Moore thought it would have a large impact to have to symbol of the simplest structure on the most complicated being. it symbolizes unity. even though the two are completely opposite ends of the spectrum complexity wise. they are both one, needing each other.

• 1 decade ago

yeah it's explained in the graphic novel. When he first recieves his costume, he is given a cap with the symbol of an atom. He takes it off and says if hes going to have a symbol itll be one he respects, and he puts a hydrogen atom on his forehead.

• I just saw the movie too. I couldn't figure out the meaning of it either. Try looking on some Watchmen fansites or something, maybe wiki him. I'm curious about that too.

• 1 decade ago

What he drew on his head was an Atom. It explains it in the book.

• 1 decade ago

its a hydrogen atom. he picks it because its a symbol he can respect unlike the crappy one the government tried to give him.

• 1 decade ago

well the government wanted him to have a symbol, and the one they gave him was stupid (at least to him) so he picked that one, the hydrogen atom, as his symbol.

Source(s): the comic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.