My boss sent an email telling co-workers about my medical condition. Does this violate HIPPA Law?

My spouse updated my boss on my medical condition, but did not give permission for my boss to forward the information to the entire staff. I am embarrassed by the information my boss sent to our whole company.

Sorry - I meant HIPAA. Also, does this violate Texas Privacy Law? My boss sent his/her own email to the whole staff stating my medical condition BEFORE she started forwarding emails that my spouse had sent her just as a courtesy to update him/her. My company said it doesn't violate HIPAA because my spouse sent the information to my boss in an employee/employer related capacity. My spouse and I didn't give permission for my boss to send these (embarassing) emails to the entire staff where I work. Also, our company does sponsor our health plan by paying part of our health care costs. Please help!

Best Answer

Your boss violated you privacy and should be held accountable.*

• Mary N

HIPAA is meant to insure privacy of a medical patient.

The employee has no legitimate expectation of "privacy" in the workplace.

Under certain conditions, a court may consider the employer's notification of the other staff a justifiable & prudent action.

If you wanted privacy, why did your spouse say anything on your behalf? Why isyour spouse involved in your workplace?

no, HIPAA is for medical providers and health plans.

Normally, an employer will only deal with covered entities, not actually be one.

paying for part of the costs doesn't count

there is a TX Medical Privacy Act but it doesn't apply either

Yes it is a violation of HIPAA. Only certain people who work in that dept. are able to see your record and it is a direct violation to reveal it to co-workers or anyone else. That includes your boss. I know this because I worked for a health care business in the Human Services dept. If I had done that not only would I have been fired, I would have had to fire anybody who did it. I and or they would also probably have been sued.

Once and for all, HIPAA applies to heath care providers ONLY. It is NOT a general protection of medical information law. And there is no "Texas privacy law."

Any type of medical information..such as records..is private..unless a release form has been signed. If you choice to let people know, not your spouse letting others know. The problem with emails..they can be forwarded.

Unless your boss is your doctor or you work in a health care setting he cannot be held to HIPPA standards because they do not apply to them.

Your husband sent the information to your boss - and he forwarded it - was it right, not really. But it has zero to do with HIPPA as your boss cannot be held to a standard that does not apply to his industry.

Can your condition harm or hurt your co-workers in anyways or at anytime your around your co-workers is there a need for them to know what to do if your condition pops up and i don't know you pass out or have seeshers? sorry about the spelling

No big deal unless your medical treatment involves embarassing situation like private part and so on....

That is a major violation! Sue their @s$es off!