Carrie
Lv 4
Carrie asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Is it rude when people say "whatever"?

to people who could never make up their mind about what they want to do and whether they want to see you or not.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it's rude.

If you are on the phone with someone and say "Hey let's go see a movie" and they respond with "Whatever" it's just rude. It gives off the impression that:

They couldn't care less about seeing you

or

They don't care for the movie idea, but are leaving it to you to apparently GUESS what the heck they'd like to do. You do all the work.

In response, I'd say "You want to elaborate on that? When you say 'whatever' I get the feeling you don't really care if we hang together or not. "

If the response is that they don't care, you are free to invite them to call if they ever make up their mind and then go do something else.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I believe it is meant to be insulting and is really a word for "whatever you say I don't care".

It used to mean "whatever you say is ok by me" (*) in the good ole days

additional: Whether it is said to people who could never make up their mind about what they want to do or when its in answer to whether they want to see you or not, it shows lack of enthusiasm / involvement and a couldn't care less attitude. One should use the complete sentence (*) if one doesn't want to sound disrespectful.

• 1 decade ago

I've recently said "whatever" to my husband. He asked what would you like to eat Mexican, or Italian, I really had no preference so I said "I dont know, whatever, it's up to you" meaning I didnt mind the choice he made. I think whatever is extremely rude when for example someone says your name wrong and you tell them "oh, no its pronounced such and such" then they say "whatever" its like "No, not whatever, I told you how I need you to pronounce my name!" some stupid b*tch thought this was ok the other day....

• 1 decade ago

Whatever is like saying F.you to someone in my eyes and I think that it is extremely RUDE

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • RE
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Very rude and distancing. Like "don't bug me."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I hate that, it's the most rude and flippant brush-off I can think of. And THIS is why I absolutely abhor teenagers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whatever to everyone who answered this with whatever. Honestly people...that's rude. Copy cats.

• 1 decade ago

this phrase signals an I don't care attitude and examples selfishness

a proper way is to say , gee I am sorry i can not decide, thanks for asking

• 1 decade ago

"Whatever" means "I don't care." If you don't want to hear it, don't say it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well it depends on who it is.

if it's a friend or a person who's close to you, then it's not if you're getting frustrated. i wouldn't recommend this for adults though. and i guess it can really hurt someones feelings if you're not careful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.