Would you like to go into a sensory deprivation tank?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

With a complete lack of any sensory stimulus, you soon begin to naturally hallucinate. Your brain is so used to constant calculations - such as in the extraordinary complex mathematics involved in spacial awareness that we are not aware of - that in the absence of any dimensions, sights and sounds it creates its own hallucinatory stimulus to keep ticking over.

I asked this in R&S because some people come out with a new understanding of life, and their material bodies.

Here is a guy talking about his (trippy) experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjTXX2rHgA

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=channel_page

Favorite Answer

I don't think it would be true sensory deprivation. You would still be aware you are in water, be slightly claustrophobic, and bored.

• Green

I've had experiences like that with simple meditation while lying on my couch.. I would imagine that it would be easier to do in a isolation tank, but I don't think I would have anything more to experience. I even had the turning flower like thing he was describing.

Perhaps tonight, I will take a bath with the lights turned off and see if I get anything other than the usual.

Yes. The brain actually begins to create stimulus IE hallucinations sometimes visual, auditory, and tactile.

I think I would give it a go, if only to get a little peace and quiet, I could meditate in there, and the only reason I would come out is for another chocolate biscuit...lol...Yep I would have a go.

How about a keg of Samuel Adams Boston Lager?

• DLM

Homer and Lisa Simpson did that!

Ralph Wiggum thought it was a whale egg.

I'd be up for it. It has to be better than anyhting on television these days. Do you have one handy?

Love too!!!!!!

I know someone who was experimenting with this at a University in LA in the 60's with people on LSD lol

Either that or you come out neurotic and delusional. It isn't a positive experience for everyone who tries it.

• Mo

Been there, done that. It was called Freshman Calculus back then.

• I`s like to give it a try.