On d-day, what did the nazis do when they spotted the Allies?

I need to know wat the nazis did once they saw the allies coming.

Best answer gets 10 points

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They alerted their local Divisional and army HQ who in turn alerted the OberKommando der Wehrmacht (German High command) in Berlin although they were unable to inform Hitler as he was asleep and had left orders he was not to be wakened.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Doc
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

As Andy points out, they passed the word up the chain. Rommel, who was in charge of the defense of Fortress Europe was on holiday back in Germany, had made statements that the first 24 hours of any invasion would be absolutely crucial. He too was not immediately informed of the invasion. When at last they told him, he was absolutely livid. Hitler believed that this landing (Normandy) was just a diversion and with held committing major forces to stem the hemorrhage. When a call went out for the 2nd Panzer Div (in the South of France) to move up, they stopped along the way to execute a village for terrorist activities. Their arrival was too little, too late. The Luftwaffe launched an Ardo recon. plane -- avgas was being rationed and so no flights were called up to strafe the troops on the beach. The Ardo flew over undetected and snapped some REALLY impressive shots which were sent back to Berlin. Those shots demonstrated clearly that this was indeed the main assault. Rommel was fired, von Runstadt was put in his place and shortly after that, he too was fired and then Model was given the job. Model was a fool, plain and simple. He failed to grasp the gravity of the situation, where as Rommel and von Runstadt saw clearly and dared speak the truth. For the Germans, their only real saving grace was that Montgomery had promised to take the rail/hiway junction within the first 16 hours. It took him over three weeks, and his dragging feet allowed the Germans plenty of time to lay waste to the port at Charbourge. Having been allowed that opportunity, they capitalized on that delay which meant that all Allied supplies coming in had to pass through the beaches of Normandy which then slowed the assault tremendously.

• 1 decade ago

Read the book "The Longest Day". As far as I can remember, the Nazi army in charge of the area (forgot the name) called up German HQ when he sighted the Allied ships, and he was given the answer that he was drinking. xD

Quite hillarious. That's the first known reaction from the battle. I can't quote the exact text as I've lost the book.

• 1 decade ago

Their response to the invasion was less than what one would expect, at least in part because they thought this was a diversionary tactic by the Allies, and that the main invasion was to occur somewhere else, so they held back the bulk of their forces for another invasion elsewhere which never happened.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I believe disembarkment meaning the day the soldiers started the invasion of Europe during WW2

• 1 decade ago

After initial defensive actions, they conducted a fighting withdrawal, regrouped and on a few fronts launched a counter attack.

• Pravda
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A lot of them soiled their lederhosen when they saw all those ships!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fire upon them.

What else would they do? make them a cup of tea?

• 1 decade ago

shoot them with mg42s on the beach

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.