Why are women's breasts so frightening?

Reasons why women should be allowed to go topless: -Hiding things makes them more naughty. If we show them in the same ways men do, in the same situations, then they're no different. They aren't something distracting and they aren't something to be ashamed of. -They aren't something to be... show more Reasons why women should be allowed to go topless:

-Hiding things makes them more naughty. If we show them in the same ways men do, in the same situations, then they're no different. They aren't something distracting and they aren't something to be ashamed of.

-They aren't something to be ashamed of. Why should we be embarrassed of "wardrobe malfunctions" (let alone have such absurd euphemisms)? Why should we feel shy about an exposed nipple? Shyness and embarrassment are, very much, signs of shame. We have breasts, they are merely body parts and no cause for shame.

-We all have breasts. Men, women, and children: We all have breasts. Some of our breasts also include mammary glands, some don't. I agree that no one should be going out and exposing their mammary glands. The risk of infection in a non-surgical environment just isn't worth it. Otherwise, without dissection, it's just the same exact skin.

-We all have nipples. How do pasties and string bikinis make any difference? Women's breasts are more full than men's but our nipples and areolas are the same.

Reasons why it should be illegal for men to go topless so long as it is for women, as well:

-Absurd obesity and "man boobs". Not even just talking 100 pounds over weight but 200, 300, or more. If women's breasts are offensive no matter how "perfect" and "perky" that has to be easily something no one ever wants to be forced to see, ever.

-Carpet-like chest hair. Yum. I'd add back hair but we're allowed to show our backs.

-Nipples and areolas. If they are offensive on women then men should have to wear string bikinis or pasties as well.

-We love a great chest on a man but we can still function when we see one. Maybe, however, not all women can control themselves so. If women's chests are distracting and tempting to men men's chests are equally distracting and tempting to women. We are, after all, weaker and vastly more prone to emotional thinking. If men can't be expected to control their lust around our chests how can weak, vulnerable, naive, stupid we?

In hiding things, not to mention the legal requirement to hide, we maintain the idea that that thing needs to be hidden. It is something so horrifically offensive that no one should ever have to see it even by accident. Modesty is just the same concept under the guise of a prettier word.

We all have breasts. No one is asking to be allowed to expose anything under the skin that covers them and the only real difference in our mutual breasts. We have no desire to expose our milk ducts and, frankly, wouldn't blame you at all for not wanting to see them.

All we want is to not feel like this part of men's bodies is, somehow, less offensive than ours. All we want is to feel like being women, having the ability to produce milk, is not something to hide and be ashamed of. We just want to be "modest" in the same way men can.

Why is it such an awful idea?
Update: Zak: I disagree, men's breasts are very sexual, both in their sensation and our appreciation. Frankly, seeing them in public has only ever made me appreciate and respect them more. Your sons might (and I say "might" because I do assume you are teaching them better) learn, rather, to see the... show more Zak:
I disagree, men's breasts are very sexual, both in their sensation and our appreciation. Frankly, seeing them in public has only ever made me appreciate and respect them more.

Your sons might (and I say "might" because I do assume you are teaching them better) learn, rather, to see the tabboo of women's breasts as a cause to objectify them more. Where hiding them makes us feel less human it might make your sons feel we are not as good as them, as well.
Update 2: Zak (again):

You did get a thumbs up from me. We don't have to agree for me to respect and appreciate your thoughts.
Update 3: Jeff: My intent with the initial reasons why men should wear shirts was intended as ironic. Personally, I have no fear of fat or cup size. Regarding legalization: The opposite is true regardless of the objectification ala "Girls Gone Wild." Virtualy every time the laws regarding female toplessness... show more Jeff:

My intent with the initial reasons why men should wear shirts was intended as ironic. Personally, I have no fear of fat or cup size.

Regarding legalization: The opposite is true regardless of the objectification ala "Girls Gone Wild." Virtualy every time the laws regarding female toplessness are challenged in any given community they are changed. It is recognized as discrimination to allow men to do something women are not allowed. It's just sad that legal suits are the only way to change it right now.
Update 4: cltchperf:

The same goes for men and dental floss. If we can wear it then you all should be able to as well. Have fun with that. I don't even wear thong underwear under other clothing. You'll learn to understand why when you don that dental floss.
Update 5: Johnqueshia: Have you ever had a breast tumor removed? The larger the worse it looks while it heals. You get a huge divot while your body restores itself. Most often it goes away nd you get your perfect, pert boob back. Sometimes you don't. Should we feel embarrassed by this or be darn proud to show this... show more Johnqueshia:

Have you ever had a breast tumor removed? The larger the worse it looks while it heals. You get a huge divot while your body restores itself. Most often it goes away nd you get your perfect, pert boob back. Sometimes you don't. Should we feel embarrassed by this or be darn proud to show this ugly imperfection that has made us survive?
Update 6: Capone:

Modest is fine when it means not bragging or showing off. Modest is not fine when it means hiding the failure of being born female. Modest is not fine when it means we, women, should hide our breasts lest you, males, be to stupid to deal with it. In hiding breasts we are insulting both our genders.
Update 7: Bob D:

I've addressed this in an email and it requires far more space than I have here. Suffice it to say: Thank you so much for a thought provoking and discussion-inspiring response. Agreement doesn't help us understand and grow. Open discussion does.

Thank you!
Update 8: Bluebeard's wife: I'm pretty sure I never advocated running around topless in a mall. Men can't and so women can't. Fine. If your husband can go to the beach in just shorts or a speedo why can't you? Frankly, I am a bit torn on women breastfeeding in public. Men can't expose their... show more Bluebeard's wife:

I'm pretty sure I never advocated running around topless in a mall. Men can't and so women can't. Fine.

If your husband can go to the beach in just shorts or a speedo why can't you?

Frankly, I am a bit torn on women breastfeeding in public. Men can't expose their breasts in a restaurant so should it really be okay for women to just because there's a kid attached to it? Breast pumps work and if a child is really going to suffer from getting breast milk via a bottle then maybe there are greater things to consider. Even, maybe, bearinging the inconvenience of breast feeding in the car or bathroom.

Yeah, I'm a die-hard fminist but I don't think we get free passes for having uteruses or milk glands. They don't make us better and if we want to be treated the same as men we should give them the same respect that we have and want.

I'm not asking for anything more than they get nor making excuses because I can bear children. It takes both of us to raise kids.
Update 9: Offkey:

Merci beaucoup! C'est tout que je voudrais, pas plus.

When men can expose so should we be allowed to, that's all. A nice chest is a beauty to behold on either gender. It shouldn't be a thing to hide out of shame for one of us when the other can show without fear.