How would you explain the importance of avoiding bacterial infections to a person with leukemia?

How would you explain to a patient with leukemia, who has a greatly elevated white blood count, the importance of avoiding bacterial infections?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree with the others that they should have a low white blood cell count.

However, I would tell them its a matter of life or death, literally. During my leukemia treatment I got an infection while I was neutropenic. I went in to septic shock, was on life support for about two and a half weeks and very nearly almost died.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Leukemia.... *and* elevated white blood cell count? Leukemia should result in a severe drop in WBC. Elevated WBC is the normal, healthy immune system's response to an infection.

Anyway...

You tell the leukemia patient that their body is unable to prevent infections by common pathogens, things which non-immunocompromised people would be unaffected by. Tell them they have to be much more careful about infection than they used to be - because they are unable to heal infections on their own anymore, even a very minor sickness or minor wound could quickly become life threatening.

• 1 decade ago

easy. when you have something serious like leukemia, your immune system is down because your body is occupied with leukemia. Therefore, you're body won't be able to block out infections and other bacteria as well as normal.

• 1 decade ago

they shouldn't need to as the white blood count is high. White blood cells contain antibodies which kill the bacteria. so the more they have the higher chance of demolishing the infection

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You're very prone to infection, your immune system is down. You need to be extra super carfeul.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you are very susceptible to infection because your immune system is weakened and therefore you lack the ability to fight infection, don't you mean low WBC count??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.