How would you explain the importance of avoiding bacterial infections to a person with leukemia?

How would you explain to a patient with leukemia, who has a greatly elevated white blood count, the importance of avoiding bacterial infections?

Favorite Answer

I agree with the others that they should have a low white blood cell count.

However, I would tell them its a matter of life or death, literally. During my leukemia treatment I got an infection while I was neutropenic. I went in to septic shock, was on life support for about two and a half weeks and very nearly almost died.

Leukemia.... *and* elevated white blood cell count? Leukemia should result in a severe drop in WBC. Elevated WBC is the normal, healthy immune system's response to an infection.

Anyway...

You tell the leukemia patient that their body is unable to prevent infections by common pathogens, things which non-immunocompromised people would be unaffected by. Tell them they have to be much more careful about infection than they used to be - because they are unable to heal infections on their own anymore, even a very minor sickness or minor wound could quickly become life threatening.

easy. when you have something serious like leukemia, your immune system is down because your body is occupied with leukemia. Therefore, you're body won't be able to block out infections and other bacteria as well as normal.

they shouldn't need to as the white blood count is high. White blood cells contain antibodies which kill the bacteria. so the more they have the higher chance of demolishing the infection

You're very prone to infection, your immune system is down. You need to be extra super carfeul.

you are very susceptible to infection because your immune system is weakened and therefore you lack the ability to fight infection, don't you mean low WBC count??