Why do shias cut themselves?

Update:

ok SORRY- i meant to say why do SOME shias cut themselves..

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Salam,

i have already answered this question, here is my answer again

===========

Salam,

first of all, a lot of scholars don't agree with that......

...secodnly, the sister of Imam Hussain (as) after the day of Ashura hit her Holy head to something which broke her holy head and everyone saw her blood......

do i need to mention that she was the duaghter of Imam Ali (as), Bibi Faima (as) and most importantly the grand duaghter of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH)?

Allah SWT is NOT against mourning and azadari, as we read in the Holy Quran........

Allah SWT says in 17:109

"They fall down on their faces in tears, and it increases their (earnest) humility."

and also you can NOT question the act of a prophet.......

"And he turned away from them, and said: O my sorrow for Yusuf! and his eyes became white on account of the grief, and he was a repressor (of grief)."10:84

and exactly in the next verse we read

"They said: "By Allah! (never) wilt thou cease to remember Joseph until thou reach the last extremity of illness, or until thou die!" 10:85

in many places we see that Allah SWt is not against mourning, as another example i can point out to 5:83 which says:

" And when they listen to the revelation received by the Messenger, thou wilt see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! We believe; write us down among the witnesses."

Allah SWT says 44:29 "So the heaven and the earth did not weep for them, nor were they respited"

so the heavens and the earth didn't cry for Dhalimeen, but the heaven and the earth cried blood for Imam Hussain (as), as it's even mentioned in sunni books

“On the day of the martyrdom of al-Hussein (AS) the sky rained blood . . . .”

See

Thakhaa'er al-Uqba pp 144, 145, 150.

Al-Sawaa'eq al-Muhriqah pp 116, 192 . . . . . .

“There was not a stone which was not lifted but underneath it was found blood . . . ”

See

Al-Sawaa'eq al-Muhriqah pp 116, 192.

Tathkirat-ul-Khawaas p 284,

Tafsir ibn Kathir vol. 9, p 162 . . . . .

Those were some of the prophets on whom Allah did bestow His Grace, - of the posterity of Adam, and of those who We carried (in the Ark) with Noah, and of the posterity of Abraham and Israel of those whom We guided and chose. Whenever the Signs of (Allah) Most Gracious were rehearsed to them, they would fall down in prostrate adoration and in tears. 19:58

but then again, based on YOUR books we read that "Rasulullah (s) was in a state where he was hitting his chest."

Saheeh al Bukharee Volume 2 page 50

Sunan al Nasai Volume 3 page 305

Adhaan al Mufreed page 426

Saheeh al Muslim Volume 1 page 291

Musnad Abu Awana Volume 2 page 292

and the list goes on........

but the verses you have mentioned do NOT talk about chest beating, it talks about suicide...........

Peace.

==========

Source(s): the truth speaks for itself...........
  • _
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Wikipedia says:

The Mourning of Muharram is an important period of mourning in the Shi'a branch of Islam, taking place in Muharram which is the first month of the Islamic calendar. It is also called the Remembrance of Muharram (Arabic: ذكرى محرم or مناسبة محرم‎). Many of the events associated with the remembrance take place in congregation halls known as Hussainia.

• 1 decade ago

Misguidance.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, did not teach us to do this.

The Companions (which include the family of the Prophet, peace be upon him), did not do this or teach it to others.

And certainly al-Husayn, may Allaah be pleased with him, did not tell people to do this after his death.

The self-harm and other strange acts of worship committed at Karbala have been sanctioned by "respected" Shee'ah "scholars". But when it started becoming popular and people began getting horrified, then the Shee'ah started discouraging it (when it should have been discouraged and forbidden for the Sake of Allaah in the first place!).

Source(s): "What we need to know about the Shee'ah (to protect ourselves)" http://abulhaarith.wordpress.com/category/the-raaf...
  • Oyster
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

you study history to get accurate reason.

but i tell w/o offense that they beat themselves b/c of death / martyr of the imams & ahly e bayt.

it is not islamic.

majority of them does it not less.

Bohra Shia don't do any Self-beating & Self-hitting.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

sunni's don't technically blow up themselves!

I was talking to a shia friend and she said that only the men are supposed to do that and that "it doesn't hurt"

i wouldnt know ...........

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I guess it represents the pain they feel for what happened at Karbala.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's their way of mourning.

Leave them to it.

Lol, I was actually nice in a response about shias, and they still hating on me?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe they're unhappy with their lives?

Or is something to do with the death of Mohammad's grandson? I don't remember.

• Cuz dey sad

X

• 1 decade ago

regret to leave el husein die...they betrayed him

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.