Advice please - work colleague leaves his dog in his car all day!!?

I got back from my lunch break and saw a little Jack Russel in one of the cars in the private staff car park at the place I work. One of the windows was left slightly open - and I live in Wales (UK) so the weather at the moment is not scorching. I came into my office and asked around and was told that the guy... show more I got back from my lunch break and saw a little Jack Russel in one of the cars in the private staff car park at the place I work. One of the windows was left slightly open - and I live in Wales (UK) so the weather at the moment is not scorching.
I came into my office and asked around and was told that the guy in question is someone who works in a different section from me (I dont even know what he looks like) and that he leaves his dog in the car every day all day (from 8am - 5pm). They said that he doesn't always let the dog out at lunch - sometimes it gets left in there all day.

I think this is outrageously cruel - and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice on what i could do to stop him from doing it in future? I feel a bit uncomfortable talking to him as I dont know the guy - but I am parked next to him today and was wondering if I should say something when we leave work?

If you think that I am in the right to want to do something about this - can you give me any suggestions on what to say to him (I dont want to put him on the defensive or start out too negatively) and does anyone know what legal repercussions/outcomes could happen - Ie: if i was too contact the RSPC what could/would they do?

Thanks guys.

PS - I think anyone that leaves their dogs in cars should be locked up. Our German Shepherd will get left with all windows open slightly for a maximum of a couple of mins if we have to pop into a garage/shop etc. Even that only happens rarely - more often than not one of us stays in the car with her,
Update: In reply to UseYourHead -- a crate inside a house all day is still unacceptable in my opinion -- the space is not suitable for long periods. And even off the top of my head i can think of one reason why a crate inside a house is more acceptable -- the temperatures inside of cars are unregulated and uncontrollable... show more In reply to UseYourHead -- a crate inside a house all day is still unacceptable in my opinion -- the space is not suitable for long periods.
And even off the top of my head i can think of one reason why a crate inside a house is more acceptable -- the temperatures inside of cars are unregulated and uncontrollable - even with windows open. Even in cooler weather car temperatures can soar in the space of a very short time. Dogs can overheat very quickly.

Thanks to the other answers but i was thinking of speaking to him first as he may be under the (delusional) impression that this is acceptable - he may just need telling? Thoughts?