Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

what are army bases like?

i was just at UCLA i was wondering if any of the set ups or something like that with the dorms and you got the sport complex and food places... anything close to that?

also does the army have a soccer team? like a real one that plays for the army... if so how do you get a tryout?

no i was just thinkin cuz i saw some flyer thing in the recruiting office and it had all that stuff. im not talkin about all army bases im just askin about if there are ones like that. with movies theaters and all that...?

Favorite Answer

Indeed! Most army bases are set in neighborhoods similar to those directly bordering UCLA-Bel Air, Holmby Hills, Westwood, where the fixer up mansion can be had for a paltry ten to fifteen million. However, most army bases skip the plebeian dorms and have accomodations more like on UCLA's Frat Row-Gayley Ave :)

For a soccer tryout contact the soccer coach at USMA aka West Point. Recruiting is pretty much the same as other D1 schools, but with a few quirks; will receive an LOA(Letter of Assurance) if scholastically qualified. If not quite scholastically qualified, will be enlisted in the Army Reserves and receive a Secretary of the Army nomination to MAPS(United States Military Academy Prep School) at Fort Monmouth New Jersey for a year. If the MAPS year is completed successfully, will receive an appointment to USMA.

West Point has a golf course, skating rink and ski slope on campus:

http://www.usma.army.mil/about.asp

Most bases have barracks for enlisted and BOQ for young officers, a theater and an officers club and nco club which often have swimming pools and some even have a golf course, and gymnasiums but not necessarily all in direct proximity as at UCLA and none that I know of are located in a place as lively as Westwood or in an area as wealthy as Bel Air/Holmby Hills/Westwood.

Actually...when I first got on an army post it reminded me of my college campus back home! Except everything is in a dull army brown color!lol but anyway so far all of the post I have been to have a movie like theater..I say that cause it's more of an auditorium with a screen the size of a theater in it. BUT they only play movies on the weekend (where we are currently stationed right now) And it's like one at a time seeing as there is only one screen. But The food court places like at the px or mini mall are just like on a college campus! And the post we're at now also has a north and south px. Which is like a food court with other little shops and then like a store kind of like k-mart in it. It's hard to describe! lol They also have tracks and football fields, a golf course, fair grounds, library, a lot of gyms, ice skating rink, bars, two bowling alleys and tons of housing that looks just like normal subdivisions. I think we are at a pretty large post right now though! lol

BUT not all post are like this one! trust me! Some are rather small and your dependent on things going on outside of post for entertainment.

Source(s): Ok...Me and my husband are stationed at Fort Bragg right now..and I have also been to several other army post

Army bases are great, I've only been to three or four of them, but they were all amazing, but this ranges from the accommodations you are in (quarters), officer or NCM and the base itself. Also they are not 5 star hotels, but the base hotels are nicer than the standard accommodations.

I believe that there is a soccer team, and that the site below will answer all your questions

http://www.defenselink.mil/armedforcessports/zsoc....

Source(s): research and personal experience

I think your confusing the Army bases with College campus. Totally different.

Go over to the ROTC area on campus and ask for a tour of a post.

think of UCLA, take away 99% of the girls there add another 30,000 guys a huge training area with land nav courses, ranges of all sorts, other training areas and you have it.

Fine men everywhere you turn.