State filing separately?

I work in MA and my wife works in NY (we live in NY) can we file jointly on the federal and separately on the NY state tax return?

1 Answer

  • Jss
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Normally, states require that you file in the same way you filed your federal tax return.

    If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

    To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year.


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.